High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

My Day in L&D (GD and Insulin)

My body seems to be on strike and surely wanted me to know!

Yesterday my grandma went into surgery to remove colon cancer and I spent the day (from 4:30AM-5:30PM) at the hospital with her, with a small break to go to my own MFM in the same hospital for a consult. My insulin doses were raised, which was to be expected since they started me low and will adjust me as needed so as not to shock my body.

Well, last night once I got home, I ate some dinner and just made it to the point of doing my BG 2 hours after before I started throwing up (literally gagged and held it in through the entire test. UGH!) Spent the night doing the same, couldn't even handle water, it would just come right back up.

Called my OB this morning to ask what I could take and he said he'd call in an rx and not to take my insulin. Well, a little too late for that one since I had already taken my morning dose. I have my great-grandma staying with me while grandma is in surgery and had to get her on a bus by 8:30 for her to go to a senior center she spends 3 days a week in so by the time I reached him, it was too late.

He told me that if I couldn't hold down my breakfast I needed to go into the hospital and get hydrated and monitored. So, thats where I ended up. Spent 5 hours on an IV of saline and had a high number when I went in so not much more had to be done (I was shocked- my "fasting" number after having nothing in me and an upped dose of insulin was 110 and then after not keeping breakfast down, my number was 169 at the hospital). I was petrified, exhausted and just felt really crappy.

Seems like the stress of the last two days has been really hard on my system. I am on some meds to keep from throwing up, and have the okay to take my next doses of insulin provided I keep a meal and a snack down before dinner. 

Its kind of amazing to me what our bodies do while under stress. Thank god that me and LO are all okay and nothing bad happened, other than feeling crappy for a while. Hope this does not happen again, but at least I know what NOT to do!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"