Single Parents
Options

One Stop Shop

Is there a place I should be going to to get info on what I'll need to do once she comes regarding legal aid for child support/determining paternity/etc?  
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket

Re: One Stop Shop

• Options

Google Yourstate and Child Support Guidelines

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Most attorneys have a free evaluation session to go over your situation and explain what needs to happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

A fellow May mommy! I thought I was the only one. If you're married, you'll have to get an attorney. All the rules are different between married couples. You mentioned paternity, so I'm going to assume you're single. Your local Attorney General should have a wealth of information for you, including forms to fill out, etc. Every states requirements and policies are different. But a few things are pretty consistent.

Paternity can be established at the hospital through a form usually called an Acknowledgement of Paternity. This is handy if you're WITH the father, but if you aren't, I wouldn't fill it out. You don't won't paternity established until custody is set up. By signing the paper with custody set up, the father has the exact same rights as you. DNA testing can also be done, and most states will pay for it. Some will require the father to pay back the cost.

Child support usually involves court, and it takes on avg a year to get it a date. Don't worry. Payment is retroactive from day 1, and includes interest. DD's father will be paying child support long after she's 18. She's almost 16, and he still owes 17K in back.  If you haven't established paternity, the court will. They'll also set up custody (in unmarried couples, it's almost always the mom), and visitation. The may or may not force him to provide medical care, and they may or may not add reimbursement of hospital expenses for you and medical insurance for Baby if you're providing it.

Court costs in Texas all go to the noncustodial parent. You can have an attorney, but here at least, they tell you your interests don't matter. The child's do, and this hearing is about the child.  Blah blah blah. 

Some things to consider adding: A provision that says he can't claim LO on his taxes. One that says he can't pick LO up from daycare/school without the daycare/school calling you first. If you want the child to have your last name, you will have to tell the court that. They lean toward giving the child the father's last name.  

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"