Babies: 0 - 3 Months

got the test results......

I am the one who is the carrier of CF (cystic fibrosis). My husband is not a carrier so thats great news! No the dilemma here is there still is a slight chance that our next child or ones after could get CF.

?

My question to you ladies is; Would you take that chance??? My heart wants five more beautiful children to enjoy and love but my gut is saying don't even try. It is a true blessing that DD (Rorri) turned out beautiful and as healthy as can be. Just looking for what other people would do and hoping im not crazy....Thanks!

Re: got the test results......

• I would. I have Epilepsy, and had to take meds while I was pregnant, and I have had many people tell me I shouldn't even have children b/c of that. Our OB gave us the decision to see a genetic counselor to see if we had any other factors that may influence us on having children, and we decided not to. We did however decide to have the testing at 13 weeks, so if anything was wrong with him, we could prepare ourselves and our families. 

We plan to have at least 3 children, if I have to continue to be on meds that is fine. Just b/c Carter didn't have any birth defects does not mean the next one won't. I will love all my children no matter what, and I know you will too. I know it's a hard decision b/c it's technically something that if you didn't have the baby you could have prevented, but there is that chance that they could be fine, and why not give life.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pretty sure there is not a chance at all that your babies can get CF, I too am a carrier but DH is not, which cancels it out... there is only the chance that LO or other children can be a carrier too... like yourself (not actually have CF). Perhaps Dbl check with your genetic counselor.. this is what I was told and read online.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The pp is correct in that both parents have to be a carrier for a child to have a chance of CF. Your children will only be carriers like you if they get the mutated gene. Google it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah I was told both parents had to be carriers to have a chance of having a child with CF 
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I actually work in a laboratory that tests for CF and like all the previous posters said, you have to BOTH be carriers to pass classic CF on to your children.  Even then, your chances of both giving them the mutation is 25%.  Since your husband is not a carrier you only have the risk of giving them one mutation and being a carrier just like yourself which should have no impact on their life.........other than that they will want to know this fact and consider testing their partner later in life to make sure that their spouse is not a carrier.  So go have five more kiddos if that whats you want:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"