1st Trimester

TTC ...did your DH drink everyday when you conceived?

Hi  ladies and congrats to all of you!  We have been TTGP for 8 months now.  We are both drinkers....however I am more of a weekend drinker except for a glass of wine with dinner every once in a while.  My DH though drinks 5 out of 7 days of the week.  Several Coors lights a night.  I realize this can effect his swimmers and he is tryign to cut back....but really I'm not going my DH to quit drinkign all together.  I just was wondering how many of you were successful with a drinking husband lol :)  Thanks for your comments
BabyFruit TickerBabyFetus TickerIAmPregnant Ticker

Re: TTC ...did your DH drink everyday when you conceived?

• DH quit drinking for about 6 months before we got our BFP (we had been TTC for over 2 years).  I asked him to lower his alcohol consumption to see if it would improve his sample numbers.  I didn't see to make a huge difference, but for some people it might.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Neither one of us cut back, although we probably should have (I'm about 4.5 weeks now). If you're having trouble, it doesn't hurt for you to both cut back substantially.  It's worth a try!

• Loading the player...
  • I hope he's able to cut back.  5 out of 7 nights...several beers.  I would be concerned with that alone.
  • We are both big drinkers as well, but that usually meant a glass of wine (maybe 2) 3 or 4 nights a week with/after dinner. But even that seemed like a bit much to me, so we cut back to 1 glass at a time and only 2 or 3 nights a week (we'd have more if it was a weekend get-together with family or something). The fact of the matter is, if he is drinking upwards of 10 drinks per week, then chances are good that it's affecting his fertility, even if his numbers are good. If he can keep it below 7 drinks per week, that is ideal. If he can't then you have a whole other issue.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• My husband drinks a few beers/coctails a night and I stopped drinking when we stopped taking the pill.......conceived after 2 months so I don't think drinking has anything to do with it but I'm no expert :)
  • I only started drinking this past summer, but DH has never had an alcoholic drink in his life (a sip of beer when he was 12--hated it!)

If he's having several beers every night I would think it'd do him a lot of good to cut back a bit in general.  

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • imageIvana.Stolichnaya:
    I hope he's able to cut back.  5 out of 7 nights...several beers.  I would be concerned with that alone.

My thoughts exactly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband has a few beers a night after work (and I see nothing wrong with that, as I know alot of people that are this way) and we did not have problems conceiving #1 or #2.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Overall, if you're OK with the consumption of alcohol and it doesnt effect your relationship-I guess however I feel about that portion of your statement doesnt matter. I was told that if someone were to consume a lot of alcohol that it could very well effect not only the quantity, but the quality of the sperm produced. I would talk to a doctor about it to see what he/she recommends!? My husband is a weekend drinker and we didnt have a problem conceiving our first baby (the one I am currently pregnant with)...best of luck!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepunkrockabye:

If he's having several beers every night I would think it'd do him a lot of good to cut back a bit in general.  

This. It can't hurt to ask him to cut back, especially while he's young. Consuming more than 2 drinks per day classifies him as a heavy drinker, medically, which has some harmful effects over time. With the possibility of a little one on the way, he may be more willing to cut back for their sake, even if it means having 1 beer and then 1 or 2 non-alcoholic beers.  It may not affect your ability to conceive, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

• DH drinks a couple beers a night, we got pregnant our 3rd month of trying.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My husband doesn't drink every day, but he occasionally has a beer on a weeknight to help him relax...and he drinks plenty on the weekends. We conceived on our second cycle, so the drinking doesn't see to have caused a problem for us.
  • imageIvana.Stolichnaya:
    I hope he's able to cut back.  5 out of 7 nights...several beers.  I would be concerned with that alone.

This. Alcoholism runs in my family. So the earlier generations are very careful about drinking.

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • My husband has a few drinks every night and his swimmers got past a diaphragm and spermicide.  Before getting pregnant I pretty much only drank on the weekends and every once and a while I would have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner.  My husband also got his ex pregnant and she was on BC pills and they were using condoms so we joke that he has super sperm lol  
  • imagekelnyc:
    We are both big drinkers as well, but that usually meant a glass of wine (maybe 2) 3 or 4 nights a week with/after dinner. But even that seemed like a bit much to me, so we cut back to 1 glass at a time and only 2 or 3 nights a week (we'd have more if it was a weekend get-together with family or something). The fact of the matter is, if he is drinking upwards of 10 drinks per week, then chances are good that it's affecting his fertility, even if his numbers are good. If he can keep it below 7 drinks per week, that is ideal. If he can't then you have a whole other issue.
    This. We both cut way back. In fact, we stopped drinking at home and only had (1) drink when we went out with friends or spent time with family. It's definitely a step that's recommended in many fertility books.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My DH and I both drank a few glasses of wine every night and we both drank on the weekend and I got pregnant first try, both times. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    Photobucket
  • imagepamelaine923:
    My DH and I both drank a few glasses of wine every night and we both drank on the weekend and I got pregnant first try, both times. GL!

Almost exactly this. I'm about 99% sure we were both drunk when we got pregnant with both girls.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • imageerbear:

imagepamelaine923:
    My DH and I both drank a few glasses of wine every night and we both drank on the weekend and I got pregnant first try, both times. GL!

Almost exactly this. I'm about 99% sure we were both drunk when we got pregnant with both girls.

Needless to say....we werent trying!!! But we are excited. Heck the only time we can trace it back to is nights that are on the we were having a good time side!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"