Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Weaning question from a lurker :)

I'm really just a dirty lurker, but I'm really struggling with weaning my DD.  She's coming up on 13 months old, and if I hadn't gotten pregnant again, I would probably have continued to nurse her a while longer.  Now my OB wants me to wean her by the time I'm 20 weeks (which I know is controversial and not always necessary, but I know my supply is dwindling and, frankly, I'm tired).

The other issue is that DD is absolutely refusing to take cow's milk.  She has a stubborn disposition to begin with, but she is now refusing to take even water from a sippy (which she previously loved).  My H is a nurse, so he works a rotating schedule which makes it difficult for him to be around consistently to help with the weaning process.  

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions or stories from those who have sucessfully weaned their toddler.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning question from a lurker :)

• Options
    At this age, you just need about 16 oz of dairy or dairy equivalent, plus hydration, So, you could offer a host of different milks, including goat, almond, soy, plus kefir, yogurt, cheese, etc, and then water. Wean when you're ready, and keep an eye on the whole nutrition profile, not just the oz of milk.
  • Options

You can also try replacing nursing sessions with a snack she likes. Yogurt, crackers, etc.  

I'm in a similar position - gl!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    When we started weaning M wouldn't drink cow's milk either it was a constant struggle we always mixed it half and half with frozen breastmilk and it had to be cold. Now she has good days and bad days. Sometimes she drinks as little as 8 ounces or as much as 19! Good luck.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thank you all for your input! I should have mentioned that we are completely out of frozen BM. My H wasn't rotating my frozen supply while I was at work and we ended up having to throw out over 200 oz. that were too old to use (yes, I sobbed).  Now, when I pump at work I can only get about 4 oz for the whole day. I work as a nurse and can really only make time to pump once while at work and I pump in the car on the way in.  I'm lucky enough to only work weekends, so my H just gives her extra yogurt those days.  I guess I will just try not to stress about the cow's milk and focus on other sources of dairy for now.

Now if only I can figure out how to cut out nursing sessions without total meltdowns ensuing...Crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DS was very similar. I weaned him using the Yo Baby Smoothies, the peach one specifically. They are made with whole milk and were like crack for him. He would drink at least 3 a day! I would put them in a Munchkin straw sippy. The only downside is I could only buy them at Whole Foods and they were crazy expensive. He finally got into milk about 4 months ago, but we flavor it with Ovaltine, which I am fine with since it is loaded with vitamins. Good luck! His pedi was 100% fine with the smoothies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not going to burden you with the amazing tirade my pedi gave us about all dairy products for people of any age, because I don't buy into it and because it sparked off a lot of unnecessary guilt, but it did make me do my research and look into other options. I still give her whole cow's milk, but just not by the barrel full. I also give her unsweetened almond milk. My friends also recommended goat's milk, which has a different protein and is easier on the stomach. One says she got it in powder form which lasts longer. Just know that cow's milk is not the be-all end-all and there are other options for LO, that might fit your lifestyle/budget.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"