July 2012 Moms
Options

Girls name?

So DH and I have pretty much settled on a boys name. He has pretty much settled on a girls name, but I'm having second thoughts on what we came up with, because someone told me it was hard to pronounce. (my 78 year old grandma who can be quite a witch)

We picked it out becuase of the movie "Country Strong" The dark haired girl in that movie, her name is Chiles. Pronounced like Child minus the d add es...(if that makes since). I wanted to spell it Chyles because I think its prettier.

What do yall think? I understand that some people may not like it, but I love it. I'm more interested in how it sounds or if its hard to say. The middle name would be Marie.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Girls name?

• Options
    I absolutely love that name and I think you should stick with it.  Most names are hard to pronounce.  Go with a name you love and forget about everyone else!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I think some people might get confused and pronounce it "chilis" like the pepper.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you should stick with whatever name you guys like. Screw what others think. I like that it's unique and interesting! 
    Loving life's blessings!
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I think it's pretty and different!  I definitely like it better spelled Chyles, I wasn't positive how to say it spelled Chiles.  
  • Options
    It is NMS, but I don't hate it.  I've just never heard it before (never seen the movie).  I definitely like your spelling better than Chiles.  So, it rhymes with Miles, right?  The more I think about it and say it in my head, the more I'm liking it.

• Options

It's not a name I would choose for my child, but it's not one that I'd hear and think "they named her WHAT?!"  If you love it, I definitely think you should go for it!

As for the spelling, in general I think it's silly to spell a name with a "y" just to make it "pretty" looking.  However in this case, I think the Chyles spelling helps with knowing how to pronounce it.  Before you explained how to pronounce it, I looked at "Chiles" and thought it was pronounced like the restaurant "Chili's."  Chyles does look prettier, and it makes the pronunciation more obvious too.  Chyles Marie gets my vote!

• Options

imageThePinkSuperhero:
    Unfortunately, I think some people might get confused and pronounce it "chilis" like the pepper.

That's what I thought when I saw Chiles, but maybe the "y" will help. 

Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageKayte317:
    I think it's pretty and different!  I definitely like it better spelled Chyles, I wasn't positive how to say it spelled Chiles.  

This was my 1st reasoning to changing the spelling. It looks like chili's at 1st glance and if i had not known what it said, i would have said it wrong for sure.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I like it!

I definitely like it spelled Chyles better. With Chiles I automatically pronounced it "Chilis". Chyles makes more sense for how it's pronounced. I also like it with Marie.

Don't worry about what others think! As long as you and DH love it that's all that matters.

Brittany (brittk0486)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Chyles...much better and not to be confused with chilis...the peppers.
    Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

Upon first looking at the name, it looks like it's pronounced "Chilly's" to me. A name that I love is commonly mis-pronounced and I did a "poll" on the baby names board to get a good sampling of votes. I highly recommend it!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options

just know that for the rest of it's life it will be said like the peper or the country or the restaurant. 

• Options
    Chyles Marie has my Yes vote!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker -- Anniversary --
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"