Success after IF

Medical Release Form

Hi Girls,

My husband and I are taking a trip to Vegas this weekend and leaving the boys with my parents for the first time.  

Do any of you have a great medical release form?  Any chance you may be able to email a template OR have a link to a great form online?

Thanks SO much! 

Re: Medical Release Form

• I've heard that your peds office might have one, but I've always just dated and  typed out BlahBlah has permission to take my kids Blah & Blah for medical treatment.

I include a copy of our insurance card, allergies, our contact info, and both my husband and I sign it, and email myself a copy, should they lose it or forget it, etc.

Some get it notarized, I've heard that's unncessary.

Have fun!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • imageDavezWife:

I've heard that your peds office might have one, but I've always just dated and  typed out BlahBlah has permission to take my kids Blah & Blah for medical treatment.

I include a copy of our insurance card, allergies, our contact info, and both my husband and I sign it, and email myself a copy, should they lose it or forget it, etc.

Some get it notarized, I've heard that's unncessary.

Have fun!

This is what we have done, too.

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Not to hijack the post but is a medical release form even necessary? My parents asked us for one once and my husband made the point that no ER or physician is going to deny a child healthcare in an emergency situation. So why the form?
  • Good point, Oct11... not sure!  I'll ask google....

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

• imageoct11bride03:
    Not to hijack the post but is a medical release form even necessary? My parents asked us for one once and my husband made the point that no ER or physician is going to deny a child healthcare in an emergency situation. So why the form?
    in an emergency this is true but consider most childhood accidents -- my mom was watching her godson and he slipped and fell in the bathroom and needed stiches for the resulting cut.  With the authorization my mom was able to ask that a plastic surgeon do the sewing so he would have a minimal scar on his forehead.  Without it it would have been the ER doc.  I assume had it been a major cut and one that clearly required a plastic surgeon there wouldn't have been a question but it's helpful to have the authorization and very easy to do.  Same with sick visits to the pedi, if you can avoid the ER and get treated by your pedi wouldn't you prefer that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks Gypsy... yes, I would prefer my parents to be able to choose treatment (god forbid it be necessary).  Thanks, I WILL create a form... and yes, it is easy to do.  Appreciate the response and the story.

• imageGypsyEsq:
    imageoct11bride03:
    Not to hijack the post but is a medical release form even necessary? My parents asked us for one once and my husband made the point that no ER or physician is going to deny a child healthcare in an emergency situation. So why the form?
    in an emergency this is true but consider most childhood accidents -- my mom was watching her godson and he slipped and fell in the bathroom and needed stiches for the resulting cut.  With the authorization my mom was able to ask that a plastic surgeon do the sewing so he would have a minimal scar on his forehead.  Without it it would have been the ER doc.  I assume had it been a major cut and one that clearly required a plastic surgeon there wouldn't have been a question but it's helpful to have the authorization and very easy to do.  Same with sick visits to the pedi, if you can avoid the ER and get treated by your pedi wouldn't you prefer that?

I guess I assumed that this was unnecessary. It wouldn't have occurred to me if my parents hadn't brought it up. I always assumed anyone could bring my child to the doctor, especially if it was their normal pediatrician. It's not like we go anywhere where we wouldn't be reachable by cell phone so a doctor could reach us to ask permission if that was required by law or something. Obviously I'd expect my parents to call us before bringing her to either the ER or her ped.

I'm fine being wrong here, I was honestly just asking since I don't know the answer.

• imageoct11bride03:

imageGypsyEsq:
    imageoct11bride03:

I guess I assumed that this was unnecessary. It wouldn't have occurred to me if my parents hadn't brought it up. I always assumed anyone could bring my child to the doctor, especially if it was their normal pediatrician. It's not like we go anywhere where we wouldn't be reachable by cell phone so a doctor could reach us to ask permission if that was required by law or something. Obviously I'd expect my parents to call us before bringing her to either the ER or her ped.

I'm fine being wrong here, I was honestly just asking since I don't know the answer.

This is a fair point, I've always had one for the just in case scenarios but until recently if DD was with her grandparents she would have been in their hometowns, not ours.  If your child is going to go to his or her own doctor it makes sense to ask them what they'd want.  But for non-pedi visits I still don't think it's a bad thing to have.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We've traveled without DD a couple times and never created a form.  I, too, assumed that her pedi would see her or at worse, the ER would not deny care.  

What I did do was send an email to my sister saying if anything happened to us ...plane goes down or whatever... that we want her to parent our daughter.  We don't have anything like a will that expressly says what's to happen to her in the event of our demise.  (I know we should have this, but we don't yet.)

After THREE years, our IVF miracle is here!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have also heard that without a form or written notification they can refuse to let the temporary caregiver be with the child during treatments etc.  How scary for a LO.
  • I think it's smart of you to have some documentation for medical care anytime you're going to be away from your child. When it comes to the care of my children when I'm not around I go that extra mile to make sure we've covered all bases. I'm not the kind of person that can leave that up to some random ER doc just because legally they have to treat my kid.  If you do a google search you can find a generic form to print out or get an idea to make one of your own.  I contacted our local hosptial and they sent me a form. 

We're going on vacation without the kids and leaving the country so my parents as well as the pedi office will have a copy of the medical release form and copies of our insurance card. My mom was an in home day care provider for 18 years so in addition to the medical release she also has child information cards on each of my kids.  The cards have general info as well as insurance info.  My mom carries the cards in her purse or in the glovebox of the car any time the kids are with her.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"