Secondary IF

I have a question-IUI or those who DH's got SA

Ok DH and I talked after my panic post below. We both agree that postponing getting my teaching certificate is not an option. So we have this cycle and then after that we will break for 5 months(pains me to type that).

So I am not switching to a RE b/c I have already started this cycle and I see no point in it now. I talked to a nurse again today and she said we should look into DH getting a SA. Ok at least they are suggesting something. So say DH can get into that doctor tomorrow and it takes a week max to get results, and they are under par. It would be too late this cycle to do anything about it right. I mean they wouldn't be able to schedule an IUI when I am already well into my cycle right?

If you had an IUI from the moment you decided that was the right route for you how long did it take before you actually did one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have a question-IUI or those who DH's got SA

• I didn't read your post below, but have been through two IUI's.  DH had a SA done prior to us moving forward with the IUI's - it took maybe a day or two for results.  I also took Clomid on CD 5 - 9, so when we decided it was prior to CD1 (since I had to call the nurse on CD1 and she gave me my instructions for the Clomid and scheduled my appointment for the u/s to check my follies). 

Not sure if you are going to do a medicated cycle or not.  I've only done medicated and based on my experience, we had to commit by CD1.  But if you are not doing a medicated/monitored cycle, I'm not sure if they could schedule you on the fly.

• I did 3 IUIs...the first one was May 2011 which was the month after I visited the RE (appt. was 4/21 which ironically was CD1).  My husband also scheduled his SA around that time and it only took a day or so to come back with the results (they do the test in house).  But because we were also a medicated cycle (Follistim) we did have to have the meds by CD3 and think we started on CD5 or so with the injections. 

We decided to do the IUI route right away because of my age and the fact that my mom & her mom both went thru full menopause in their early early 40s...so with my 0.48 AMH level (which is low low low)...I didn't want to waste time.

Thinking you still might be able to an unmedicated IUI though...which is where you would monitor for a positive OPK and then go in for the IUI...I didn't do one but I know there are other ladies on here who did.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • The only thing holding us back from our first IUI was DH, so once he was on board, it was the following cycle. That said, we were already with and RE and he'd already had an SA.

Keep in mind that while maybe you can get into an RE right away, you might have a 6 or more week wait before your first consult.  I made yesterday's appointment back in November.  Granted, my new RE has people from all over the world coming to him, but I think I made my renewal consult with my old RE (we had seen him before DS, and while people do come from other places in the country for him, it's not like my new RE) in late September of 2010 and we didn't get in until early November 2010, and I was a prior patient. 

And the two big clinics in our area won't take the results of an SA done at any lab other than their own. And you can get SAs done at their labs without being a patient there yet. So once you decide on an RE and call for an appt, even if you have a wait, you might be able to have your OB request your DH's SA to be done from the lab of the RE you are going to. Hope that's not too confusing?

• Does your OB do IUI's?  If yes then I would think you could do one after the results of the SA if the timing in your cycle was right.

I have been to an RE but my OB's office does monitoring and IUI's so I don't actually travel to the RE's office for either of those things.  OB is just following out the RE's treatment plan if that makes sense.

My two IUI cycles I took clomid and then did a trigger after my monitoring ultrasound.

Otherwise you might have to wait a while to get into an RE.  I had to wait almost 6 weeks for an appointment as previous posters have mentioned.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • As far as I know, if you are being monitored, you can schedule an IUI up to the O date - is that right?  I know at my RE they won't do anything until DH has been tested though, but if he gets his results 2 days before you O, I would think they'd be able to move quickly... ??? Hoping anyway!

It's a bummer you might have to take off 5 months, but good that you are going after your teaching certificate.  I agree it's a good idea to stay put now - an RE would make you wait another month for extensive testing.  Take the shot now!  FX for you!!! 

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • My DH got his SA done on CD10, results back on CD12.  I went in for a follie scan on CD13 (It was a Femara cycle), with no plan to do an IUI.  We'd been planning on a trigger shot and going natural.  But the doctor said conditions were perfect for an IUI and she could get me in the next day.  

So for us, we really only had 1 day of lead time and the doctor still went ahead with the IUI.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"