Blended Families

Is being diagnosed bi-polar hereditary?

I'm sorry for the broad question, and how utterly dumb I am going to sound. I have ZERO knowledge about bi-polar disease/diagnosis. I'm curious though if a parent is diagnosed with it, if that is something to watch out for in a child.

Thanks.

Re: Is being diagnosed bi-polar hereditary?

• Yes,

And in some studies:  the child has an increased risk for autism, depression, and other mental/mood disorders.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, but also...

one way they "diagnose" bi-polar is if you have a family history that includes bi-polar, so if you tell a doctor that you have a family history of bi-polar disorder, that increases your chance of a positive diagnosis.

• Loading the player...
  • My niece's BF was diagnosed with it during my sister's pregnancy and their separation. They've been divorced since she was just months old. She lives with my sister at my parents house and has a perfectly wonderful life. She didn't have visitation or much contact with the BF for the first year or so but that was because he didn't want any part of her life at that age. She is almost 5 now and has had regular EOW visitations for some time but lately her demeanor has been erratic. One minute she is mean as fire to my mom or my sister then the next her normal sweet self. I will do a lot more research but it so out of character for her and seems like the last 2 months after visitations it's gotten much worse. Not blaming the BF but it was just such dramatic change, it got me thinking.

• Yes, there is an increased risk among first degree relatives.  I second what sweetie said, its also linked to other mood disorders (depression etc).  I believe there is also a link to schizophrenia but its pretty rare for a child to have schizophrenia, it uaually pops up in teen years or early adulthood. I can check my DSM tonight for actual numbers when I get home from class if someone else finds it first.  If it helps any, my SIL is bipolar and no one else in DHs family has it.  MIL takes antidepressants but she does just fine.  So while it might be something to watch for, it doesnt ALWAYS happen that way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHopeforthebest:

My niece's BF was diagnosed with it during my sister's pregnancy and their separation. They've been divorced since she was just months old. She lives with my sister at my parents house and has a perfectly wonderful life. She didn't have visitation or much contact with the BF for the first year or so but that was because he didn't want any part of her life at that age. She is almost 5 now and has had regular EOW visitations for some time but lately her demeanor has been erratic. One minute she is mean as fire to my mom or my sister then the next her normal sweet self. I will do a lot more research but it so out of character for her and seems like the last 2 months after visitations it's gotten much worse. Not blaming the BF but it was just such dramatic change, it got me thinking.

For a bipolar disorder, in the diagnostic criteria, the epidsodes last about 1-2 weeks so she will be down for a period and then up for a period of time, not really minute to minute. My SIL does what youre talking about but she goes through periods of 1-3 weeks where she gets big ideas to do these projects, less sleep, eats less, talks really fast like ahe cant get the words out fast enough. Anything like that? Or just the quick mood swings? ETA: I dont mean to 'diagnose' her over the internet. By all means if her mom thinks there is a problem, she should see a child psychologist. Depression also tends to present as irritability rather than sadness, or she might have nothing wrong at all. I dont want you to worry that its BPD when its completely possible there is nothing wrong Annnnd Im shutting up now.
  • imageCurlyQ284:
    imageHopeforthebest:

My niece's BF was diagnosed with it during my sister's pregnancy and their separation. They've been divorced since she was just months old. She lives with my sister at my parents house and has a perfectly wonderful life. She didn't have visitation or much contact with the BF for the first year or so but that was because he didn't want any part of her life at that age. She is almost 5 now and has had regular EOW visitations for some time but lately her demeanor has been erratic. One minute she is mean as fire to my mom or my sister then the next her normal sweet self. I will do a lot more research but it so out of character for her and seems like the last 2 months after visitations it's gotten much worse. Not blaming the BF but it was just such dramatic change, it got me thinking.

For a bipolar disorder, in the diagnostic criteria, the epidsodes last about 1-2 weeks so she will be down for a period and then up for a period of time, not really minute to minute. My SIL does what youre talking about but she goes through periods of 1-3 weeks where she gets big ideas to do these projects, less sleep, eats less, talks really fast like ahe cant get the words out fast enough. Anything like that? Or just the quick mood swings? ETA: I dont mean to 'diagnose' her over the internet. By all means if her mom thinks there is a problem, she should see a child psychologist. Depression also tends to present as irritability rather than sadness, or she might have nothing wrong at all. I dont want you to worry that its BPD when its completely possible there is nothing wrong Annnnd Im shutting up now.
    Oh NO please feel free I'm just taking what I know and what mom is telling me and beng a worry wart I suppose. I just want all the facts and help however I can. My niece has never been spanked...#1 she is a very well behaved child #2 our family were never big spankers therefore her sudden lashing out (hitting my mom and my sister) is the biggest red flag but with kids I know it's hard to know what's what. Thank you for any info and don't be shy about sharing opinions or info I'm very eager to hear everything I can. Thank you so much!
  • 5 yr olds should not be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.  Typically ppl in their teens or early 20's are diagnosed.  The "standard age" used to be 15 before this diagnosis was given but I have clients younger than that with this dx. 

If your sister is concerned, she can request a psych eval but as PP said, episodes are often long lasting, manic or depressive.  Your niece could simply be reacting to a change in her schedule.  Please tread lightly as children are getting younger and younger with major diagnoses that you just can't work yourself out of. 

• My son's father is extremely bi-polar and at 13, my son clearly shows signs and symptoms of depression.  My son has been in therapy and is on medication for it as well.  The medication helps control the symptoms so far, but I am also concerned with what lies in his future.  I am really hoping that he will level out after his teenage years, but we will see I guess.
  • Bi-polar disorder does not normally even exhibit as such later teen or adult ages. Often, a child may exhibit depression or signs similar to ADHD. Bi-polar disorder is difficult to diagnose and can even be dangerous to diagnose. People who suffer from BPD cannot take depression medicine alone, they must have a mood stabilizer as well. Younger people often are diagnosed after a stand alone depression medicine causes suicidal thoughts. Doctors often try more than one depression med before offering a mood stabilizer with it.

I was diagnosed with BPD in a similar way. After going through several different depression medicines that had various (horrible) effects on me, they offered me a mood stabilizer along with an antidepressant.

After my last suicide attempt, I refused to try anything else. Through therapy I have learned how to deal with it. And because my DH also has first hand experience with it, he has been a wonderful aid.

My father has it also, and he worries that even though I can control it now, that if I do not get on a mood stabilizer, I will get worse. That is what happened to him. He did not think he needed the medicine early on, but by the time it was apparent he did, it was too late and he did a terrible awful thing. Now that he is on appropriate medication, he is much better.

I have not talked to a doctor recently about my father's concerns, but a few years ago, my doctor at the time told me that if therapy was helping and I was able to control it on my own, medication was not needed. But he  warned me to listen to friends' and family's opinions about how well I was controlling it and to seek further help if things started getting out of control, even slightly.

I never think of BPD as a crutch or an excuse for anything. I've paid enough attention to it that I can feel when my manic phases are coming to an end and I prepare for a drop. It feels horrible, sick even. But my husband is a wonderful supporter. My lows are not quite so bad if I can work out my last days of "manic mode," as we have started calling it. I get lots of things done and cleaned and organized and everything in that period and cannot sit still or quit talking and fidgeting. But if I am not in a position where I can work out my last day or two of manic mode, then I drop off very quickly and get horribly mean. I'm pretty good at steering away from everyone until I'm feeling calmer.

That was a little more than "Is it hereditary?" But my father has it and so do I, so.... yeah.

• The other big part of this to remember is environmental.  If her father is having a rough time then she might have a rough time and it does not need to be a mental disorder but over time I would think that just living with someone with uncontrolled bi-polar disorder could make a person depressed or have rage.  Also, your family might not spank but do you know with 100% certainty that her father is not spanking her?  If she has having bouts of rage at 5 I would not be as worried about a diagnosis but more about a cause, there is likely something bothering her (although of course she could truly have a disorder.)  Then again my 3yo could fit into this and she has no issues except not liking being told what to do.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageHopeforthebest:

This doesn't sound like bi-polar to me.  But it definitely sounds like there's something going on, or something changed.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • My dad is bi-polar and my sister is bi-polar/ADHD.  I struggled with a mild case of PPD/anxiety after DS.  I think I'd would look into a cause first.  Also play therapy may help her get her feelings out with a "safe" adult.  I talked with my counselor at school vs my mom because I didn't want to hurt either parent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"