Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

3 year old's speech concern

My three year old talks all the time. When she was 15 months, she failed a hearing test, but was retested and was completely fine. She had early intervention for six months and was on par or above her peers with receptive and expressive language. Right now,  I can understand almost everything she says, but she does have problems with consonant blends. For example, "dink" for "drink" or "soon" for "spoon." Sometimes she tries to overcompensate and adds a vowel to help her: "puh-lease" or "ba-lack" for black. Should she be evaluated?

Re: 3 year old's speech concern

• Options

DS1 is going to the speech therapist for his first evaluation on Thursday. The pedi referred us but she felt like my concerns would be considered normal for his age. At 3 year the pedi said she wanted to wait another year before sending him to speech. I talked to the speech therapist she said that at 4 even 5 if a child can be understood 75% of the time there is likely nothing that therapy will do. With all that said... we have insurance, insurance pays, so I want to have him evaluated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for your response. Did you have his hearing checked, as well? Another poster mentioned this might be helpful so I'm wondering if I should do that in addition to a speech consult?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would think that his speech is normal it is typical for certain sounds not to develop until 4 or 5.  Below  I copied a list I took from this blog which I think is really good about articulation problems https://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=754 .  When my ds was tested for speech it was required that he receive a hearing test - before he received services.  Both in EI and for school at 3 years.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"