Parenting after a Loss

PGAL ? re: Breast pumps...

Hi ladies!!

Figured I'd ask the experts on this one -- I'm trying to figure out what breast pump to get and I'm feeling overwhelmed after reading reviews etc.  The plan is to breast feed and as long as possible but I will be going back to grad school part time (one class) when LO is 3.5 months and then for my student teaching it will be full time when LO is about 8 months.  So I won't really need to pump a lot until the student teaching but would like to be able to pump for DH to feed her, emergencies, etc.

Any super suggestions?  I don't want to go all out with price but would be willing to spend a decent amount for a good product that will last (possible) future LOs too. Thanks so much!

? J + J = 5/29/10.?
TTC since 8/2010. Irregular cycles after stopping BCP.
1st BFP! 3/26/11. Missed M/C - D&C 5/2/11.
Always missed: Our little Blueberry. It's Never Over.
2nd BFP! 9/3/11 on last unmedicated cycle! EDD: 5/11/12
1stBeta @13DPO = 289, 2ndBeta @15DPO = 619!
? Clementine Lorraine, we love you so much already! ?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PGAL ? re: Breast pumps...

• imagesoftskate31:
    I think a double electric pump is a must if you will need to routinely pump while away from baby. I used a medela pump in style advance and it was definitely sufficient for me being an EPer.

Thanks! I was looking at that one but I guess I'm nervous to spend that kind of money for fear it will just wear out....is this a legit worry or do you think it will last for multiple children? Or are breast pumps usually needed to be repurchased with each birth? As you can see, I'm not very informed....lol

? J + J = 5/29/10.?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Medela pumps are fantastic and very high quality, I have a Pump in Style Advanced. You shouldn't need to purchase another one with another child. I pumped 1-2 times a day for a year with DD and now I'm using the same pump 3 years later with no problems at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love my Medela PISA
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Double electric is a must for prolonged use. If you were going to be pumping like once a month or a little more than that I'd say just a single pump. I had the PISA (fell off my bed and a piece snapped) and currently use the Freestyle. I love/loved both pumps. The only thing about the freestyle that I don't like is how loud it is.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I agree with double electric.  One point I would make though is that I know lots of moms that bought pumps and never used them bc bf'ing didn't work out or bc they got hospital grade pumps and then didn't go back to their normal pumps.  With each of my babies, I had supply issues.  With DD, I ended up being able to almost exclusively bf with minimal supplementing, and with DS, I have been exclusively bf'ing.  However, both times I rented a hospital grade pump to help increase my supply and then didn't go back.  some health insurance plans cover the cost of rental, and if not, it is now a reimburseable expense on fsa plans.  So, just my 2 cents, but I always think it is worth holding off buying a pump until you have your LO and see what happens.  You can always run out and pick up a pump later.
  • I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't like the Medela PISA. I bought a hospital grade pump used (the Ameda Elite... the same one I used in the hospital). 
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • imagepriya&peter:
    I agree with double electric.  One point I would make though is that I know lots of moms that bought pumps and never used them bc bf'ing didn't work out or bc they got hospital grade pumps and then didn't go back to their normal pumps.  With each of my babies, I had supply issues.  With DD, I ended up being able to almost exclusively bf with minimal supplementing, and with DS, I have been exclusively bf'ing.  However, both times I rented a hospital grade pump to help increase my supply and then didn't go back.  some health insurance plans cover the cost of rental, and if not, it is now a reimburseable expense on fsa plans.  So, just my 2 cents, but I always think it is worth holding off buying a pump until you have your LO and see what happens.  You can always run out and pick up a pump later.

This is really good advice, thanks! Maybe I will wait and see how things go... that way I can sort of think it through relative to how my body and LO are working together. 

? J + J = 5/29/10.?
  • Thank you to all PPs!! 
    ? J + J = 5/29/10.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"