Food Allergy

Bloody diarrhea

Hi there- my 4 month old son began having bloody mucousy green diarrhea last thurs. dr is doing a stool culture, and we have switched to soy formula. Dr thinks its bacterial, but DS has been turning away the bottle for a month now on and off, and last night after taking an ounce of soy he got two hives on his face and had the bloody diarrhea again - he's had it every day since thurs.

My question is- can a MSPI build slowly then all of a sudden give these symptoms? I've cut out dairy from my diet and bf as much as I can. Dr didn't mention allergy at all, but my gut tells me it might be. Thanks! 

Re: Bloody diarrhea

• Hives indicate an allergy, not an intolerance.  My daughter is dairy and soy allergic, and that can build slowly.  I would cut both soy and dairy from your diet and not give him soy formula again.  Switch to Nutramagin or Alimentum until getting your results back.  If he is dairy and soy allergic, you may have to go on a prescription formula if he can't handle the broken down proteins.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Blood in the stool can also be a sign of an allergy. The hives are a dead giveaway for me, from all that I have experienced. Just like PP said, I think its best to try the nutramigen or alimentum and see if he can tolerate those before moving to the super expensive stuff. I hope you get it figure out quick! I hate to think of him being in pain. My Jacob has lots of tummy pains that keep him up at night screaming at the top of his lungs. Its no fun at all :(

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. We should have lab results by tomorrow. Dr called and insists the milk allergy would be from birth if he had one- DH is buying the nutramigen now- I still think its allergy related, but I hope for hs sake it's bacterial and curable. Until then I'm off all things dairy and trying to comfort him as much as I can. This stinks. :(
  • imageEdsdollfaceJen:
    Thanks ladies. We should have lab results by tomorrow. Dr called and insists the milk allergy would be from birth if he had one- DH is buying the nutramigen now- I still think its allergy related, but I hope for hs sake it's bacterial and curable. Until then I'm off all things dairy and trying to comfort him as much as I can. This stinks. :(

Keep us posted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"