Pregnant after IF

XP: Converting to IVF. Talk to me - freaking out!

:::Deep breaths:::

Just got back from a monitoring appt (CD10). I have 8 mature eggs. IUI is not a choice. I'm 90% sure we'll covert. It's just a lot to process. I have to tell them by end of day what we're going to do. DH is a teacher so I can't just call him up and talk. So we're "talking" via e-mail... ER would be Thursday.

Give me your stories on converting or just IVF in general. Good and bad.

How many did you transfer? How many LO's are you pregnant with?

Conor was my "easy" one (I guess?), femara+trigger+iui. Love him! :)

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: Converting to IVF. Talk to me - freaking out!

• I did not convert, but did ivf on purpose :) I just wanted to reassure you that you don't need gobs of eggs to have a successful cycle. I was lucky with success on my first try, and I only had 9 mature eggs. Only 6 of those fertilized with icsi. I transferred just one embryo by choice, and still had 3 good embryos left over to freeze, so I am hoping to get my next kid out of this batch as well with a future fet.

While I was going through this process, I thought for sure that having so few eggs was a bad sign, but that is not always the case. 

Good luck with this cycle! 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• We transferred two embryos and are pregnant with a singleton. We have three snow babies as well. Lots of luck to you!
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • We transferred 2 and are pg with 1, plus 6 frosties for future siblings. Honestly, the second part of the process is not so bad. Since you don't have to stim for weeks on end, you will just have the ER (they give you happy drugs and it's pretty quick) and then ET (which is very much like an IUI and over within minutes) and then the worst 2ww ever.  ;)  This is a very exciting thing! GL!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• We did IVF with ICSI, and we were able to get 13 eggs, 12 of which fertilized.  We transferred 2, and currently I'm pregnant with one.  We were fortunate enough to be able to have 6 embryos that were of high quality to be frozen. 

The best thing to do is drink tons of Gatorade, V8, and eat salty foods, like chicken noodle soup after the ER.  This is also to help prevent OHSS.  When they take out the eggs, they take out the fluid that is around them.  Water will naturally want to go and "fill in" the spaces in your ovaries.  If you make sure you drink high sodium drinks, like Gatorade and V8, and high sodium foods, particularly chicken noodle soup, it keeps the water in your bloodstream because of the sodium.   Also be sure to drink tons of water and pee a lot.

You will probably be bloated for several weeks after the ER/ET. This is due to your enlarged ovaries, drinking the high sodium beverages, and because of the progesterone you will have to take. You will have to be on progesterone supplement, either injection or vaginal suppositories.  Normally, when an egg is released naturally, the space where the egg was produces the progesterone that you need in order to sustain the pregnancy.  When you do IVF, this doesn't happen. Therefore, until the placenta takes over making the progesterone (usually between 8 and 12 weeks), you will have to be on progesterone.

GL and keep us posted! 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We transferred one blastocyst and are pregnant with a singleton. We were able to freeze four more.

Unless you're concerned about the cost of converting, I don't see a strong enough reason to not go ahead with IVF. I understand that you have little time to mentally prepare yourself for this, but in some ways that's kind of nice. You didn't have to spend several weeks on birth control pills, lupron, etc. while impatiently waiting to start stimming. I agree that ER was easy. Some women have more pain, but I feel like they're usually the ones who had a more robust response to meds. I was groggy the day of, but not uncomfortable at all. The next day I was completely fine. Emotionally, it's harder than an IUI, but I wouldn't cancel the cycle because of that. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely think that ER/ET was the easier than the weeks of BCP's and stimming. We had 9 eggs retrieved, the first round we transferred 2 and were not pregnant. For my FET we transferred two and I am pregnant with one plus we have 3 more snowbabies :) Good luck!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DX: Severe MFI 9/1/11
    Because of Undescended testicle at birth
    IVF #1 October BFN; 5 snowbabies
    FET: November/December 2011
    ET: 12/7/11; Beta 1: 12/16/11: 66 Beta 2: 12/19/11: 212! 1st ultrasound 1/3/12! Graduated 1/10/12: heartbeat 160
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi! I had a very similar situation. I was not responding to Follistim and then on a Monday, there were 19 follicles about 7 mature-ish. We had about 30 minutes to decide so that we could get some different meds before the pharmacy closed. It was very emotional, but we went for it since I had already hit my OOP max for the year and it meant a basically free IVF cycle.

So, Monday was the day we decided to convert. We added menapur to my meds and I took that shot Monday night and twice on Tuesday. I think I must have triggered Tuesday night and had an egg retrieval Thursday. I went in hoping for 7 mature eggs. We got 27 eggs and 15 were mature. So, if you have any small follicles, hopefully they will catch up.

Of the 15, 4 made it to 5 day transfer. We transferred two and froze two. (The next day they called and said that two more made it to freeze.)

I am currently 12.5 weeks pregnant with twins. I did have one of the embryos split, but we knew early on that the triplet was not a viable baby. Apparently, there is a slightly higher risk of an IVF embryo splitting, but it's still only supposed to be like 2%.

It was such a whirlwind and super scary, but I am so glad we did it. Good luck to you!! Let me know if you have any other questions about converting.

DS #1: (Summer 2010) Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Endometrin & B2B IUIs (Hail Mary Cycle) DC #2&3: IVF #1 (November 2011) Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't transfer, but we did IVF.  We transferred one and are pg with one. We have two frosties waiting for next time.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We retrieved 6 mature eggs... 4 fertilized with icsi and we transferred 2. I am now pg with twins. GL with whatever you decide!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • We got 16 eggs, 14 fertilized )with ICSI), and they implanted one and I am pregnant with one, and four made it to freeze. I agree the hardest part of IVF was the stimming: coordinating the shots with DH, stressing about doing them right, and getting all the meds straight. ER didn't hurt as much as I thought, but people had told me it would be just terrible, so the fact that I was expecting worse made it better than me. ET was just really emotional, seeing the embryo on the screen, and then having that 2ww. But then IF is an emotional roller-coaster all around. So my thinking is you should go with whatever your best chance that you can afford of conceiving is.

Also, I ate lots of potato chips, because I figured, when else am I going to be able to lie on the couch, watch Investigation Discovery, and eat potato chips for three days?

I wish you lots of luck anding good thoughts your way!

TTC since October 2009
    2 failed IUIs with Clomid
    IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
    ET 11/3/2011
    One embryo transferred, four frozen
    11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
    First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
    Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
    Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had 2 ERs and they both resulted in only 3 eggs, 2 mature and fertilized each.  I transferred all 4 (2 frozen, 2 fresh) and I am pregnant with, I am 99% sure, a singleton.  Won't know for certain until the u/s.

I think in a way it would be nice to be converted unless there's a big financial concern.  Like others have said, the stimming and monitoring is probably the hardest part of IVF aside from the financial aspect.  I had no pain after either retrieval and my transfer was a little ouchy from a fussy cervix - but not a big deal at all. 

Good luck to you!!

• Go for it!!!! I only had 7 after retrieval, 2 transferred and I am pregnant with twins! We have no frosties (thank goodness!)Smile
  • I didn't convert, but I did have OHSS (45+ mature follies!).  We did the ER and got 37 eggs.  It wasn't bad at all!  They give you a nice dose of painkillers and sedatives and it goes by really fast.

We had a delayed transfer due to the OHSS, but were able to do a frozen transfer three cycles later.  We transferred two 2 day zygotes and are now pregnant with one little girl!

Best of luck!

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"