December 2011 Moms
Options

7 Week Sleep Regression?? (Long)

We were doing so well...

Our LO was a pretty good sleeper for the first six weeks.  Oh, he was still a breastfeeding newborn who woke up every few hours, but it was manageable.  Between 4-6 weeks he even started giving us a large "chunk" of sleep at night...anywhere from 5-7 hours.  One night, he made it up to 8 hours.  I knew that was the exception rather than the rule, but I thought things were going well.  I bragged about my little guy to anyone who would listen.

We had our routine, too.  DH and I mastered the 5s from the Happiest Baby on the Block.  We can swaddle like pros, we have a white noise machine.  We'd make DS comfortable, then I'd nurse him.  I even broke his latch and pulled him off when he was just comfort sucking, but not completely asleep...I read that would help him not to associate falling asleep with sucking.  Then, after he was good and sleepy, I'd lay him in his rock and play...he'd make a few little grunts, maybe even fuss a bit, but he'd fall asleep.  Then, we'd all sleep peacefully for a few hours.  When he'd wake up, I'd nurse him, but I was always careful not to turn on lights or even talk to him. 

Life was good.

Then, he hit the seventh week of his life.  What happened?

For the past two nights (and even for naps), this little guy has been refusing to sleep anywhere but my arms or in our bed.  I keep doing our "routine", but anytime I put him down in the RnP, he starts crying.  Not just a little fussing (I let him fuss a bit while I rock him, rub his tummy, etc...)...no, this is all-out-red-faced crying.  

It's exhausting.

If we lay him down completely asleep, he'll sleep in the RnP for a bit...but he usually wakes up after 10-15 min.  He hasn't slept for longer than 45 min.  My DH got up and walked around with him a bit last night just so I could get a 2 hour stretch of sleep.

We've tried everything.  We've tried every sleep position we can think of (swaddled in the RnP, not swaddled in the RnP, swaddled in the crib, not swaddled in the crib, on his tummy in the crib...)  The only thing that worked was when we brought him in bed with us.  Then he slept for 2 hours.

I'm not judging anyone who co-sleeps with their LO, but it just isn't for us...this isn't a habit we want to start, but it's the only way we can get relief. 

I'm worried that he isn't sleeping enough and is overtired...I know I'm overtired...

Am I alone or is anyone else in this boat?  Have any of you already survived the 7 week sleeplessness?  I will take any and every suggestion you have!!  I'm not asking for a lot...I just want my good sleeper back!  I don't expect LO to sleep through the night...I'd be happy to even get back to those 2 hour stretches of sleep...

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 7 Week Sleep Regression?? (Long)

• Options

We're going through this right now, but she's only 4 and a half weeks.

Used to go to bed between 7:30 and 8:30, would sleep until midnight, then 1 am, then we finally hit 2am last weekend. Last two nights she's up at 10 pm.

I think in our case it is bad gas though, it seems to be disturbing her sleep. She only seems okay with sleeping when she's on me, probably because the gas is making her feel so badly.

I just hope it gets better, I only got four hours total last night and I feel like a zombie. It's a fight to get her to sleep during the day too.

Best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I could have written your post myself.  DS is 6 1/2 weeks old.  Last week he went to bed around 9:30 every night and gave us about a 4-5 hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep.  This week he's been up every hour or hour and a half until 2:00 am, when he finally slept for about 3 hours.  I am exhausted!
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We are dealing with the same thing only my LO is 9 weeks. She has never slept for more than 4 hours at a time before, but we used to consistently get at least a few stretches that were 2-3 hours long. 

The past two nights she's up every hour and in between she's fussing and moving around..definitely not sleeping well. I've tried everything and the only thing I can think of is that she's in some sort of weird phase right now. I'm praying it passes because momma needs some Zs!!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!!

I hope your sleep situations all improve soon, too!!  Sometimes, it's just reassuring to know that others have the same struggles...at least I know it's not just me or just my LO.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"