D.C. Area Babies

when did your LO start using a fork?

Or, at least using one consistently? J prefers a spoon most of the time, even for things like pasta. He will use a fork reluctantly, but mostly uses his fingers to put the food on it (like a spoon) and eating that way.

Is he behind or am I worried over nothing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: when did your LO start using a fork?

• DS loves using a fork. He also loves using his fingers. He also loves throwing food. He's 19mo old. I think DD was using a fork by that age.  I know they had it in her room at DC when she was in the 24mo-30mo room, for lunch.

• DS will use one but I'd say it's to "stab" at things like a fork is really used for about 20% of the time. The rest of the time he's still using it like a spoon.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sprout is just starting to get the concept of stabbing food.

I will say, though, that food is his #1 motivator so getting it efficiently into his mouth is something he really, REALLY wants to happen.

• DD1 started sometime between 18-24 months.  She took to a fork much faster than the spoon (easy to stab food).  DD2 is starting to use a spoon now (16 months) but she actually likes the fork better if the food is already speared. Mainly she still uses her hands.
  • DD started using a fork consistently sometime before two, but then reverted back to a spoon only when DS started eating solids about 6 months ago. I give her one, along with a spoon and a knife, we're working on cutting, at each meal. I figure one day she'll predominantly choose it again.
  • audrey has been consistently using her fork since about 15 months. she insists on having one for every meal, even when it's not fork appropriate food or she's not feeding herself (soup night, e.g.). most of the time she uses it effectively, but sometimes she picks up her food with her fingers and puts it on the fork. kind of defeats the purpose, but funny to watch!

i don't htink tomas used a fork anywhere near this early. but audrey has a big brother to emulate. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • T has been using her fork pretty consistently for fork-appropriate foods for quite a while, but I don't think I would be concerned if she wasn't.  J *can* do it, but it sounds like he's choosing to use a spoon because it's easier or faster for him to get the food in his mouth that way.  Seems age-appropriate to me.  He'll get there when he's ready!
    imageimageimage
  • M is 18 months and he likes to play with his fork and try to spear food, but he usually requires help. It's more of a plaything right now than an actual eating utensil.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Molly is still 50/50.  She CAN use a fork but most of the time she uses her fingers.
  • We started both kids on solids with Baby Led Weaning and they both have demanded having a fork just like Mom and Dad.  DD didn't get really good at using one until close to 18 months.  DS can stab the food and then he pulls the food off the end and puts it in his mouth.  When he's really hungry he just holds the fork in one hand and picks up food and puts it in his mouth with the other.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"