August 2011 Moms

We'll call this research...

Help me pick a career! (I'm only slightly kidding)

What do you do?

Do you love your job?

What's your favorite part of your job?

The least favorite?

How are your hours?

If you could have any other job, what would it be?

Anything else I'm missing feel free to elaborate on. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We'll call this research...

• What do you do? Teach college.

Do you love your job?  YesI worked as a teaching assistant in the past and did enjoy that.  I am looking even more forward to having my very own class. 

What's your favorite part of your job?  Flexible hours (good for having kids) Summers free.  High hourly rate. 

The least favorite? High education requirements. Competitive .

How are your hours?  I am only working part time, but 6-10 Mondays and Fridays.   DH is also a college prof and he works Tuesdays to Fridays only9 to 6 most days, and then a long day on Friday.

If you could have any other job, what would it be?  Museum curator.

• What do you do? Civil Engineer (I design water and wastewater infrastructure)

Do you love your job? I like it a lot

What's your favorite part of your job? Seeing something I thought of and put on paper built and usable.

The least favorite? That it takes me away from my little boy.

How are your hours? I'll go back next week and be working mon/tue/thur 7 hour days until March when I'll go to mon/tue/thur/fri 8 hour days.  It's typically a standard 8-5 gig, but they're very flexible b/c I've been there awhile and they're a great employer.

If you could have any other job, what would it be? SAHM probably...or if I couldn't pick that, another type of engineer.  Environmental maybe.  I do sometimes fantasize though about a job I had in college in Customer Service at Dillard's.  I processed credit payments and, best of all, was in charge of gift wrap.  There are times I really wish I could do that full time.  :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Help me pick a career! (I'm only slightly kidding)

What do you do?

I'm a high school chemistry teacher

Do you love your job?  Yes

What's your favorite part of your job? Surprising students with fun activities and seeing them understand concepts and solve problems.  Very rewarding

The least favorite?  Some kids are really a piece of work.  I work in a wealthy district and they have real entitlement issues.  A lot of students don't want to learn and just want the answer.  This infuriates me.

How are your hours?

I leave the house at 6:45 and am home by 3:30pm

If you could have any other job, what would it be?  I think I would love to be a nurse or go completely different and be a news anchor

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

What do you do? I'm an elementary school teacher- first grade

Do you love your job? Yes

What's your favorite part of your job? I love being responsible for teaching children so many new things. It allows me to be creative and use my imagination, especially with the little ones. The hours and vacation time is an added bonus.

The least favorite? Lots of time planning and working at home. Many people don't see or understand there's more to teaching than just work in the classroom. Pay also could be better. Also, I have to deal with parents of students who are not always supportive or who disagree with things I do and say. That makes the job difficult.

How are your hours? The school day starts at 8:40 and ends at 3:25, but I'm always there by 8 and I usually leave by 4 (before baby- I haven't been back to work yet).  Of course, there are meetings every week after school, and a few other commitments after school and in the evenings (conferences, etc.) throughout the year.

If you could have any other job, what would it be? Probably a nurse. I feel I'm best suited for a career that helps others.

• 1) What do you do? I'm a Marketing Graphic/Web Designer.

2) Do you love your job? YES! Stressful at times, but I like creative challenges. 

3) What's your fav part of your job? Coming up with new concepts and branding new companies/old companies that need revamped.

4) The least favorite? Too much competition. AND-- The young college kids practically sell their souls for $20. They will do a full logo for that small amount, and it kills me. I get so pissed off about that! It makes our industry look cheap.

5)  How are your hours? Awesome! 7:30a-3:30p. Love it.

6) Any other job? I would be a music video director/designer. No joke. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What do you do? Full time Nanny.

Do you love your job? Yes. I actually went to school knowing I wanted to be a nanny when I finished. I work for an awesome family, which is a big part of loving your job as a nanny.

What's your favorite part of your job? Pre-DS I loved that I had flexibly in our daily schedules. Now, I love that ican bring DS with me. I don't have to leave him, and we get to be a dual-income family with no child care costs.

The least favorite? It's easy to get burnt out and feel isolated. Being a nanny isn't quite an "accepted" profession. It can be hard to find friends that understand what it's like.

How are your hours? I work about 43 hours a week with weekends off.

If you could have any other job, what would it be? School Counselor. I would have to go back for a master's in counseling. It would take me about 3 years as a full-time student. I'm not ready to make that commitment yet. Maybe I will when DS starts school.

Anything else I'm missing feel free to elaborate on. Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook for 2011 or 2012 (if it's out yet). It has information on many different occupations. 

What do you do? I'm an auditor for the State of Minnesota. (So I don't audit people, I audit government entities, i.e. counties, cities, etc.)

Do you love your job? It depends, seriously. There are certain parts of the audit cycle I love, like preparing the financial statements and pulling the whole thing together. There are other parts I don't like, like what I'm doing right now, which is essentially compliance audits (making sure federal dollars are spent appropriately.)

What's your favorite part of your job? The flexibility. We have the option to work four 10-hour days, or five 8-hour days, or really a combination. So long as we pick a schedule and stick with it, we can pretty much work whenever we want. I also love the benefits. At the State level, they are fabulous! Paid holidays, vacation, sick. Insurance is free for individuals, $165 a month for family.

The least favorite? Dealing with clients. No one likes to see the auditor. Generally, things go well. It's when I have findings or request additional documentation that they don't like me. You have to be okay with not being loved in this job.

How are your hours? I work 6:30-4:30, three days a week (I went part-time after DD was born)

If you could have any other job, what would it be? If someone could pay me to be a SAHM, that would be awesome. Otherwise I think I would like to be a professional organizer. It exists. Seriously.

Anything else I'm missing feel free to elaborate on. I graduated college with an accounting degree, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. There is no shortage of jobs, and the pay is great, even at the governmental level (vs. private). Also, generally a four-year degree is all you need, unless you go for an MBA. Once you get a CPA license, there's really no need for additional school. I don't even know anyone with a Masters in Accounting. The field is more experience-based than education-based.

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What do you do? Research (mostly education related)

Do you love your job? I like my job, but wouldn't use the word love to describe work!

What's your favorite part of your job? Lots of variety. 

The least favorite? tight deadlines occasionally make for very stressful periods and sometimes well over 40 hours a week.

How are your hours? Right now I usually work 6:30-3 (I work from home for a company on the east coast). If I have lots to do I finish up in the evening once DH is home so I can minimize the LOs time at daycare.

If you could have any other job, what would it be? I honestly have no desire to get another job that I'd actually have a shot at getting - I'll stick with this for the long run most likely. But my dream unrealistic job is being a host of a travel channel show. Or doing something that would pay me well to travel :-)

Other info: People in my field w/ only a B.A. get paid very little and have little opportunity to move up. A masters or PhD is the way to go if you want to make money in this field. 

• What do you do?
    I'm run a large well-known financial office for a financial advisor.

Do you love your job?
    Love? No. But I do like it, and the company I work for is great.

What's your favorite part of your job?
    It's easy lol. We have so many resources to help us, even though I do most things myself, I really never have to feel like I don't know what I'm doing. And I like working with clients.

The least favorite?
    Besides the fact that it keeps me away from my daughter, it would be that the financial world actually bores the living daylights out of me. I hate figures, stocks, charts, etc. It's not interesting to me at all.

How are your hours?
    Pretty amazing, I work 7:30-4:30 M-Th, I get to be off on Fridays now. All federal holidays are paid days off. Technically I only have to work until the stock market closes (3:00 our time), but I stay a little later for clients.

If you could have any other job, what would it be?
    Besides a SAHM, I would love to do something crafty, like interior designer, furniture refinisher, or own my own company

My job is actually kind of cool. There is even an option to be what is called an "on call". They fill in for my position on days I can't be here, kind of like a substitute teacher. They don't have regular hours, and they only work the days they want to if they get asked to. The only downfall to it is that it's not as "stable" as my position, and there are no benefits/401k. I plan to become one later this year so I can work only on the days DH is off work.

What do you do? I am an office manager at a dr office

Do you love your job? no for the company I work for now

What's your favorite part of your job? Helping people

The least favorite? firing someone

How are your hours? 730-430 5ish

If you could have any other job, what would it be? wish I would have finished schooling and be a teacher so I could have the summers off with DS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

What do you do? Well before being a SAHM I was a nanny, before that I was a department manager at a grocery store. I managed the coffee kiosk.

Do you love your job? I loved it. I loved doing ordering of supplies, inventory, managing a team, and being super organized. 

What's your favorite part of your job? I loved doing ordering of supplies, inventory, managing a team, and being super organized. 

The least favorite? I was 18, and everyone in my department was 2+ years older than me. They had NO respect for me at all. 

How are your hours? I would usually work what was needed. Usually I worked 6am-3pm Sun-Thurs. Occasionally for new launches I would have to be there from 3pm-midnight, or 2am-11am for inventory. 

If you could have any other job, what would it be? An elementary school teacher. 

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for answering! I still have no idea what I want to do

I'm leaning towards nursing but I am just not sure I can put at much as is required. I'm also not sure how hours work.

I also am revisiting the idea of teaching which I had dismissed when I was still in high school because I really hated my teachers.

Those are really my top choices. I just feel so unsure about making an actual decision.

Thanks again everyone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"