D.C. Area Babies

Old Town Alexandria Daycare Rec?

Hi ladies! I'm a July 2012 mom and I'm looking for an affordable daycare in Old Town, starting in October of this year. We have no preference of in-home vs. center. My husband and I do have a somewhat flexible schedule (he's home by 2 pm every day) and we are hoping to not have to pay full-time rates if possible. 

If you don't have a recommendation, do you mind telling me how you went about finding your daycare? Besides care.com, I'm having a hard time doing research that yields actual reviews from other moms. 

TIA! 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Old Town Alexandria Daycare Rec?

• If you want care in Old Town, it's going to very hard if not impossible to find part-time care.  The most affordable center that I found was Great Beginnings. They do not have a part time option.  I found no in-home day cares in Old Town, but they may exist.  Are you on the OldTownMoms Yahoo! listserve?  You can post your question there and get lots of ideas for day cares in Old Town.  In the end, I wasn't thrilled with our options that we could get into. The ones I heard the best things about (Bright Horizons PTO, American Day School, St. Anthony's) had 1 1/2 year waiting lists.  We got on some more than a year b/f we needed care and still didn't get in.

You will have more options if you're open to things outside of Old Town.  

• I am definitely open to going outside of Old Town. How do I get on the Yahoo! listerve? 

I called American Day School today and they have a 60-family waiting list! I expected as much, but I didn't think it would be this hard to research.

• Loading the player...
  • Have you looked at the City of Alexandria list of registered in-homes? You'd still have to do more research on quality, but it at least tells you how many are close to you and whether they offer part-time.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagemollarific:

I am definitely open to going outside of Old Town. How do I get on the Yahoo! listerve? 

I called American Day School today and they have a 60-family waiting list! I expected as much, but I didn't think it would be this hard to research.

• imagerels09:
    Have you looked at the City of Alexandria list of registered in-homes? You'd still have to do more research on quality, but it at least tells you how many are close to you and whether they offer part-time.

Yes, I have. It's an awesome resource, I just wish there was more information included. It only gives name and phone number, right? I really want a personal recommendation/review.

Are either of you familiar with ITFDC? https://www.infanttoddler.com/itfdc-main/program-basics/ . 

• imagemollarific:

Are either of you familiar with ITFDC? https://www.infanttoddler.com/itfdc-main/program-basics/ . 

Yes.  We did it, but I didn't find any providers that worked for us location wise.  I found that all of them were away from the city and I needed to go toward the city.  It's definitely worth checking into.  Providers change frequently. 

• imagemollarific:

imagerels09:
    Have you looked at the City of Alexandria list of registered in-homes? You'd still have to do more research on quality, but it at least tells you how many are close to you and whether they offer part-time.

Yes, I have. It's an awesome resource, I just wish there was more information included. It only gives name and phone number, right? I really want a personal recommendation/review.

The one I saw also had addresses and noted whether they did part-time.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Definitely get on the Oldtownmoms yahoo group.  There are recent posts about nanny shares (full and part-time). 

For in-home, check out this link from City of Alexandria https://alexandriava.gov/dchs/childrenfamily/default.aspx?id=50226

You can also look up daycare violations from the VA Dept of Social Services page https://www.dss.virginia.gov/facility/search/cc.cgi

I don't have any recommendations for in-home care. We have only looked at daycare centers so far, and now are exploring nanny shares.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You all are so helpful, thank you! I joined Oldtownmoms on yahoo and I can already tell that it's going to be an awesome resource! 

I've only recently discovered nanny shares, that might work for us too! The one reason I want to stay away from a center is because I'm hoping (possibly unrealistically) that an in-home will be more flexible with our schedule and we won't have to pay a full-time rate. We only need care around 25-30 hours, as opposed to the full 40 hours.

Does that make sense? Am I living in a dream world? Is there somewhere/someone I can pay hourly, but still have a set schedule? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"