August 2011 Moms

Babysitter Dilemma (advice needed)

ok so basically, I need a sitter to watch LO and my 8yr old stepson for 3 hrs two days a week.  I was taking LO to a sitter but she got another job. Then MH's aunt was coming to our house to watch both kids (which was so wonderful and convenient) but her job changed her work schedule so here we are again looking fora new sitter.  I prefer to have somebody come to the house so that my 8yr old can come home have a snack and do his homework (MH was picking him up from the bus and taking him back to work with him for an hour).  My concern is having somebody I don't know in my house and around my kids.  It really stresses me out.  What's the best way to find somebody trustworthy and what questions should I ask when interviewing a sitter? TIA Luckily my Mom is coming to help out for two weeks so we have some time to figure things out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Babysitter Dilemma (advice needed)

• I've heard good things about Sittercity, but I have no personal experience with them. 

• Also Care.com. Both sites allow you to sign up and you can see who's been finger printed and has an up to date back ground check. Those are pretty important things. GL!
    image image image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I have found all my sitters through Craigslist.
    I did a background check on all of them, and also checked their references.
    Never had any major issues.

Questions to ask:
    1) Do you know CPR/First Aid? Are you certified?
    2) What do you do in case of an emergency?
    3) How do you deal with stress?
    4) What is your experience with infants?
    5) Give an example of a time when children you have watched got a little out of hand. How did you handle the situation?
    6) How do you discipline (or plan to discipline) my children?
    7) How do you feel about tv use? How often do you allow children to watch it?
    8) Do you do activities/learning games/crafts?
    9) Can you cook or prepare meals if need be?
    10) How do you handle safety? What precautions do you take?

***Also- Have him or her around your children why you are interviewing, and sit back and watch him or her interact with them. See how well they do, and also, how your children react to them. 

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Care.com, nannies4hire.com (which is where I found my current job), if you live near a college/university student-sitters.com or place an add in the student newspaper or place a flyer in the education building, Craigslist.

Always check references and get a background check. 

Good luck! 

• Do you have any reliable neighbors that stay home? I would feel comfortable having a neighbor I knew well be at my house for a couple hours a week, or even having my kid be at their house after school until one of us could pick them up. I know care.com makes you pay for a subscription, which is stupid IMO.
  • Tell everyone you know that you're looking -- we got lots of good recommendations this way and found a great nanny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"