Food Allergy
Options

Intro and a question

Hello!  I am a mom of four (ages 6, 4, 2, and 10 weeks).  My 6 year old was diagnosed with Celiac Disease nearly two years ago (diagnosed with GI scope) and my 2 year old shows all the same signs that my oldest did--- slow growing, stomach aches, eczema, etc.  Per our pediatrician and our own thoughts, we have her on the GF diet as well.  Our four year old shows no signs other than eczema and tested negative on blood test (although I know, that isn't completely definitive). 

Our 10 week old has MSPI (all four have, each worse than the previous) and we are currently dairy, soy, peanut, treenut, and egg free as well.

My first question--moms with multiple allergens/illnesses, how do you cook--do you make separate meals?  Does everyone eat the same thing?  I sometimes feel overwhelmed....I am a picky eater anyway so I tend to cook for the family and make myself something separate---which I don't want to continue to do...

My second question--since going back to kindergarten after Christmas break, DD1 has been complaining of stomach and headaches (her symptoms of being exposed to gluten).  I assume she is coming in contact with it at school as I monitor everything at home.  I know she isn't eating anything with gluten at school because I send everything and she is really good about knowing what she can and can't have.  Do I meet with the school again (they are really good about avoiding things she can't have but may not know something here or there) and ask what art supplies they have been using, etc?  I am nervous that she may continue to feel this way if we don't figure out what it is soon....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and a question

• Options

*waves*  Hi!

I cook one meal for everyone.  DD and I are the only ones with multiple restrictions anymore, but DH and DS eat the same things we eat anyway.  We eat very simple meals - chicken, turkey or beef, a steamed veggie, baked sweet potatoes, fruit.  Nothing has more than 2 or 3 ingredients.  I felt guilty about it for a long time because it seems really boring, but DS has never complained, and DH even prefers it this way.   It's super healthy, easy to put together, easy leftovers, and best of all there's no whining about "his stuff looks better" or "why can't I eat what she has?" etc.  If we eat at a restaurant those 2 are free to order whatever, but at home I am not a short-order cook.  :)  I only make things that won't make DD and I sick.  Period.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're in a similar situation.  I think it helps to find meals that can be adapted for everyone.  Like we'll have tacos with a choice of protien, optional dairy, and optional veggies.  Some other things that work well are baked potato bar (this is a good way to use up leftovers too), burgers (turkey or veggie, choice of cheese, choice of bun, choice of veggies), gf pasta (choice of sauce, choice of protein).  

Schools can be hard to work with when it comes to a gluten-free lifestyle.  DD2's kindergarten teacher was wonderful but DD3's is so difficult.  Definitely have a conference to explain your dd's symptoms and to go over guidelines.  The basic guidelines I provide teachers are:

-When in doubt about gluten in supplies, ask and I'll provide a safe substitute.  If there's no time to ask, leave my child out of the activity instead of taking a risk.

-Only allowed to eat food sent from me.  They have a treat box in the classroom for birthday treats or whatever else may come up.

-Avoid contact with gluten as much as possible -- this means they should not be the "table cleaner."

-Always be allowed time to properly wash hands before eating (hand sanitizer does not remove gluten) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"