Blended Families

Illumine (re: swimming)

Why is it bad for under 5s to learn to swim?

my read shelf:
Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Illumine (re: swimming)

• I was wondering that too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It creates a false sense of security for both the child and parent. 

Kids who take lessons, do so under very controlled situations.  There are teachers, the parents (depending on the class) and a number of lifeguards watching out for everyone. 

Kids who have had classes get over confident in their abilities (they cannot reason people) AND do not understand the differences between lifeguarded pools and, say the neighbors pool. 

Parents may also forget that, while the kid has some basic skills, they do not have the stamina or mental capacity to figure out how to save themselves were something to happen.

Seriously - I would rather have DD fear the water unless with me or DH then start lessons.  Hence Monkey has not had a single lesson.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • great point of view, thanks for sharing!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • That makes sense.

When my sisters and I were infants, my parents took us to infant survival swim lessons at the local fire department. We had a pool in the backyard, and they were scared one of us would somehow wander in.

We've taken DS to two rounds of swim lessons, one when he was 5, and another when he was 6. It didn't click until 6.

But since he learned to swim I'm almost MORE nervous for him. When he dives down underwater, I can't take my eyes off him until he comes back up.

And DD is famously fearless in the water, though she hasn't had lessons. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"