Cloth Diapering
Options

Sigh... I'm having ammonia issues already.

Ok, so I have a total of 6 BGs that I've been using part-time for 2 weeks now. The first week I used Arm & Hammer Sensitive (no dyes or scents) and then switched to Charlie's once it finally came in the mail. 

The first week was great, no problems. Then the second week my 3 pockets started to smell (they came a week later so they have only been washed in Charlie's). A day or two later my 3 freetimes started to smell too.

I do a cold rinse (sometimes two if there were a lot of poo dipes), warm wash with one scoop, then cold rinse.

And to add insult to injury, I stripped them today using the Dawn method, and some of them still smell :( What am I doing wrong? I'm calling BG customer service tomorrow to see what they have to say, but I'm wondering if they'll just try to get me to switch to the BG detergent... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sigh... I'm having ammonia issues already.

• Options
    Maybe the Charlie's isn't working for you, or you aren't using enough of it. I switch up my detergents fairly often and it seems to help. When I had a top loader I did a cold rinse, full cycle wash ( with a rinse, wash, rinse) on hot/cold, then another cold rinse. Now that we have an HE front loader I do a prewash, full cycle hot/cold with detergent ( to the first line), extra rinse. Then I put it through another cycle with no detergent. It might be worth it to add more soap and an extra rinse or cycle to be sure they are getting clean enough. Also, sunning them can really help.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ammonia means too much soap. You really do need to do a second rinse to get it all out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepixy_stix:
    Ammonia means too much soap. You really do need to do a second rinse to get it all out.

So I need to do a total of 4 rinses? The "wash" includes a rinse, and then I add an extra one at the end.  

I thought Charlie's couldn't build up? Ugh. This is so frustrating after only using them for such a short period. 

• Options

It's true- ammonia smells means detergent residue.  You can try using less detergent going forward to help prevent the problem.  Also, a hot wash will remove more detergent than a warm wash if you are having build-up issues.

I do this: quick wash cold (no detergent), heavy duty hot wash (with detergent) with the heavy soil and extra rinse options.

Make sure you are using a full load of CDs (usually 12-24) on the highest water setting level you have.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options

Here are the washing instructions directly from the BumGenius website:

https://www.bumgenius.com/help.php

They recommend a cold wash, followed by a hot wash with detergent and an extra rinse.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Your water isn't hot enough. I've read recently in several places that a warm rinse is better than a cold rinse, so try that. Then you need to wash on hot. Final rinse temp doesn't matter. The A/H free and clear probably did build up a bit. And, keep in mind that a diaper company is going to give you wash instructions that will least damage their product, but that won't mean it is a routine that will get them the cleanest.

Look into whether you have hard water. And switch to tide.

• Options
    imagesosoph:

Your water isn't hot enough. I've read recently in several places that a warm rinse is better than a cold rinse, so try that. Then you need to wash on hot. Final rinse temp doesn't matter. The A/H free and clear probably did build up a bit. And, keep in mind that a diaper company is going to give you wash instructions that will least damage their product, but that won't mean it is a routine that will get them the cleanest.

Look into whether you have hard water. And switch to tide.

I've also ready about how a warm rinse/prewash is better. This is what we do as well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagepixy_stix:

Actually, it can also be too little soap or an ineffective detergent. You can have buildup of natural oils on your diapers if the wash routine isn't getting out all the pee/poo, which is just as bad as buildup of detergent not rinsed out.

• Options

So am I screwed if I don't have a hot/warm rinse option? My machine only does Cold/Cold, Warm/Cold, and Hot/Cold. (I actually wash on hot, not warm like I said). 

I thought it was buildup too, but that doesn't make sense since the ones never washed in A&H were the first ones to smell.

I also don't get why they still smell after stripping :( I guess I'm off to call BG.  

• Options

So, when you say you do a cold rinse first, how do you get it to do that? An alternative might be a warm delicate cycle (usually around 6min). I actually just changed my routine to this:

1. medium water level, short warm wash, no detergent (so I get a warm rinse, then a cold rinse) 2. hot water wash with tide on large setting 3. extra rinse, medium water level. I decided that the first rinse wasn't getting enough stuff out on large, and my thinking was that two rinses on medium would use about the same amount of water but be more effective (which is still more than enough to cover the diapers). They didn't seem dirty before, but now they seem really clean.

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"