Cloth Diapering

Daycare wants me to use wet pail

My son has been in Daycare for about 6 weeks now and as far as I know the staff are fine with using a wetbag for the used diapers but now the administrator says that I have to use a wet pail.  I haven't spoken to her directly but there is a sign up in the changing area saying that for cloth diapers parents must provide a pail filled with fluid in the morning and take it home in the evening.  

This is a major inconvenience for me, we bring him to the daycare and drop him off on foot in the stroller generally and it sounds very tricky to steer a stroller and carry a pail filled with fluid at the same time never mind the fact that it is winter in Toronto so I may be doing  this in the snow or on slippery sidewalks.

Does anyone use a wetpail at daycare?  I suppose I could take an empty pail in the morning and fill it there but the problem remains for the way home.  I use BG 4.0  and I'm not sure soaking them even for a few hours is good for them.

This is a city daycare so I have an email in to the childcare department of the city to see if I can avoid this.  I used the hopefully magic words 'drowning hazard' so hopefully that will make this go away.  

Is it ok for the diapers to use a wetpail?  Any advice on the solution I should use? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare wants me to use wet pail

• I don't know why they would require it to be a wet pail. If there has been no issues with the wetbag, then I would just continue as you are until they speak directly to you about it. And then when they do, ask why. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am not going to bring in a pail on Monday, ostensibly because they haven't told me what kind of fluid they want in the pail but really killing time until the city gets back to me.  I hope that the magic words 'drowning hazard' will get the city to disallow wet pails in city daycares.   

I think talking with the administrator will not be helpful, she has a bee in her bonnet about wet pails, the previous baby that they had who was using CDs used a wet pail and now she thinks it's the most hygienic option.  She has brought it up with me once before and listened to what I said but said she's check with the city.  I suspect the city said that they don't care and so she made an executive decision to require them.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageTokenFemale:

I am not going to bring in a pail on Monday, ostensibly because they haven't told me what kind of fluid they want in the pail but really killing time until the city gets back to me.  I hope that the magic words 'drowning hazard' will get the city to disallow wet pails in city daycares.   

I think talking with the administrator will not be helpful, she has a bee in her bonnet about wet pails, the previous baby that they had who was using CDs used a wet pail and now she thinks it's the most hygienic option.  She has brought it up with me once before and listened to what I said but said she's check with the city.  I suspect the city said that they don't care and so she made an executive decision to require them.  

Honestly this would really annoy me...have you mentioned to her that the wet pail IS a drowning hazard? I would not want my child to be in a room where they would have a pail full of water/"solution", especially since I don't know how the children would be supervised.  

On a side note, I worked in several day cares for years and I can honestly tell you that I didn't trust some of the employees at some of them, let alone having them have a wet pail in their room.  I would talk to her until she gave in. Good luck and I hope she changes her mind. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• If you had to, couldnt you fill with water when you got there and dump before you brought it home? I wouldn't want to carry a pail full of dirty water either. How do they define "wet pail". 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would also bring up that any source of standing water -let alone standing water containing fecal matter- presents a source for bacteria to grow & therefore an increased risk of infection.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
  • imageRNfromMN:
    I would also bring up that any source of standing water -let alone standing water containing fecal matter- presents a source for bacteria to grow & therefore an increased risk of infection.

Yes 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• agree on the drowning hazard. And, that just has to do with how you launder them, not how the dirties are stored for 8 hrs until you take them home.

I have heard that centers want them in a sealed container/pail, which might be what they'd prefer to the wetbag. You could put the wetbag in the pail and then take that home, rather than the whole pail.

• I suspect that may be what the city requires, a closed container rather than a wet pail, but the sign specifically said container filled with fluid.  I also don't think I would be able to empty it before I went home, that sounds pretty unhygienic, all they have there is a sink for washing hands and a toilet that the toddlers use.

The changing area is an area where children are not allowed except when they are being changed/using the toilet it is separated from the infant room by a door but the toddlers can get into that area since there are no doors between that and their cubby area.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I can't use CDs at that day care if they insist on a wet pail.  The only container I would be confident that a child couldn't get in would be something like a racoon-proof bin that people are here use for their organic waste it has a tight seal and the bin itself is quite tall so it would probably be safe.  However there is no way I could carry one of those with fluid inside and steer a stroller.  

If they insist I'll switch over to disposables and write a stern letter to the city, but hopefully it won't come to that.

• I think it also depends on what they mean by "filled".  Can you throw a cup or two of water into a wet bag from a water bottle when you get there and call it filled? :-)

And I would be dumping that extra water out on their sidewalk every day before I walked it home...hehehe

That sounds ridiculous and I hope you can talk some sense into them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"