Natural Birth

Hibiclens? For GBS test

Has anyone heard of this?  My friend who planned a home birth said that her midwife told her to use this before her test. 

dx MF & FF IF
Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Hibiclens? For GBS test

• That doesn't make sense, it sounds like "cheating" to me. I'd want to test without and have real results so I can make my decision and treatment based on the true risk factors.
  • Eager to learn more about this too!  GBS is a huge concern for me and reason I'm already contemplating spending an extra $4k just to have a home birth with any future babies we have =/
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My doula told me about this, too. She said a lot of midwives tell their clients to use this. She said that along with keeping my immune system up and using probiotics, that Hibiclens can be used before a test. Also that some midwives use this during labor before baby comes out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Umm...I'd be against that. Hibiclens is usually used for surgery, not to wash your girly parts with. Also you have natural bacteria and flora down there that protect you from infections. Hibiclens kills bacteria, so there for it's setting you up for an infection, yeast or bacterial. Just saying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tested GBS+ with J. My midwife then suggested trying Hibiclens and retesting me. I thought it sounded like a good plan.

To the pp who suggested that the results of the test wouldn't be real after using Hibiclens, you do realize that GBS status changes, correct? That is, I could be GBS- this week and GBS+ next week, regardless of using Hibiclens, eating garlic or yogurt, doing 50 handstands, or whatever.

Just because a woman tests positive for GBS at 36 or 37 weeks does not mean that she is still GBS+ at delivery at 41 weeks for example.

I'll get back on track now...so I tried using Hibiclens and then had my midwife retest me. I was still GBS+.

I still had a med-free homebirth. We declined antibiotics, per my midwife's protocol (you must have them if you have prolonged rupture of membranes or run a fever during labor). After discussing GBS with her and doing lots of research about the risks, DH and I decided that it is slightly strange that all laboring women who tested + weeks earlier are treated with antibiotics when it is only a problem in a very small percentage of cases. Add to that the problems with antibiotic overuse in general and we declined them.

So that's the long way of saying, yes I tried it. No it didn't change my GBS status.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not sure that I'd use hibiclens on my vaginal and perineal area.  It's a pretty harsh soap.  We don't advise using it more than 2-3 x per week on other skin because of how harsh and drying it can be.  Besides, the swab goes into the vagina and into the rectum when done correctly and I sure won't be sticking hibiclens in either location personally.  Guess I don't personally have an issue with having to get penicillin every 4 hrs if I test positive but I'll be in a hospital attempting my natural birth and for me, having an IV for access in case of an emergency and to get antibiotics is not a big deal and won't ruin my birthing experience (I don't plan to let that ruin it, at least).
  • imageJcrab:
    That doesn't make sense, it sounds like "cheating" to me. I'd want to test without and have real results so I can make my decision and treatment based on the true risk factors.

I just asked my MW about this at my last appt and that's exactly what she said. If you ARE GBS+ she wants to know! Of course, there's nothing wrong with taking a ton of probiotics in the last trimester to help your body NOT be GBS+, but if it's there, you don't want to mask it just to pass a test. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • hibiclens is safe to use in the vagina.  you can use it in a douche for BV.  i think it depends on how your provider does the test.  if they are also going to swab your rectum then hibiclens won't help.  unless you plan to do a hibiclens enema, lol. 

i would first determine if you want to do the GBS test first.  if you want to do it then do it with your body as is.  if you don't want the treatment for it then why do the test in the first place. 

• Oh boy... well, this was the first place I had turned to instead of google so I literally knew zero about it!  I'm getting the GBS test and then the IV antibiotics at the hospital if I test positive (I'm having a hospital birth) so I guess this hibiclens doesn't sound like it's for me!

My OB was super supportive of not having an IV in during labor and delivery unless medically necessary and she said that if I did test positive that the antibiotics would be administered and then they could take the IV out.  I'm not worried about it being one intervention that they will just try to keep in, she is the one who said they would take the IV out, I didn't ask if I could do that, so that makes me feel better about that too! 

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well if it makes you feel better, I tested positive with my last pregnancy and was really upset about it because I was SO set on a natural birth and imagined being connected to an IV pole during my entire labor. When the time came they hooked me up and let the antibiotics run (about 15 minutes) then unhooked me (so I still have the IV access on my hand but not connected to anything... I think they put an access in everyone anyway in case of emergency). So I walked the halls during my labor and even got in the tub (just didn't get that hand wet!)... and in the end I had my pain med-free, natural delivery! I was happy I had the antibiotics because I've read up on how GBS can cause complications in newborns and giving into being connected to an IV for 30 minutes (I had two doses over 8 hours) was definitely worth it to protect my baby from potential harm. Again, I am SO happy with how my labor went and wouldn't change a thing. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"