Adoption
Options

Shower Advice?

A dear friend and her DH are in the midst of potential adoption of an older infant.  They are hoping to have their baby home with them by April, so I am planning to have a shower for them.  Also, they are hoping to adopt the baby's sibling, to be born this summer.  They may not know anything about baby #2 before baby #1 arrives to live with them.

Those of you who have been through adoption, or are in the stages, do you have recommendations for a shower?  I told her I think there should be a second one later for baby #2 (if all goes well) b/c the needs of an older baby (like things on their registry) would be SO different from things for a newborn.  I've done a shower for an expecting mother before.  Part of me feels that this shower would be no different, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything that I may not be thinking about, since I'm not really up on eactly how adoption works. 

Any help and suggestions would be welcomed!  Thanks in advance!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Shower Advice?

• Options

That's really nice that you're throwing a shower for your friend and her DH.  I don't know if everyone would agree with this or not, but could they just register for things for both babies?  I wouldn't have an issue if someone did this for a shower I was invited to...

I would just think that might be easier than trying to do 2 showers. 

To answer your question about if the shower would be any different...The shower would be the same as any other shower.  I would make sure of WHEN they are comfortable with having a shower.  Many people choose to do one before the baby comes, but we decided to have ours after the TPR - termination of parental rights - was signed.  We were most comfortable with that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageArt Teacher:

That's really nice that you're throwing a shower for your friend and her DH.  I don't know if everyone would agree with this or not, but could they just register for things for both babies?  I wouldn't have an issue if someone did this for a shower I was invited to...

To answer your question about if the shower would be any different...The shower would be the same as any other shower.  I would make sure of WHEN they are comfortable with having a shower.  Many people choose to do one before the baby comes, but we decided to have ours after the TPR - termination of parental rights - was signed.  We were most comfortable with that.

i think this is a good idea, register for both babies and have a shower shortly after they arrive

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto the pps.

We adopted DD in March, and MIL threw us a shower mid-April. DD was 6-ish weeks old and everyone got to see her. I'm thinking it might be nice for you to throw one shower mid-summer when both kids are with them. Have them register for both kids, and celebrate their abundant joy! :)

It's just like any other shower. You're showing the mom/parents with gifts for their LO. They just arrived a slightly different way.

• Options

The only differences between my shower and others: We didn't play any silly games and there was alcohol.

I chose to have my shower AFTER we brought DD home. I didn't want her passed around so she stayed home with DH. 

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageinlovewithB:

The only differences between my shower and others: We didn't play any silly games and there was alcohol.

I chose to have my shower AFTER we brought DD home. I didn't want her passed around so she stayed home with DH. 

The only game my family did was when we were opening gifts, if the timer went off and it was your gift, you won a prize...Something like that. 

DD went with us and it was great!  She was 2 months old at that point and she let everyone hold her....she was really happy and content. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageArt Teacher:

To answer your question about if the shower would be any different...The shower would be the same as any other shower.  I would make sure of WHEN they are comfortable with having a shower.  Many people choose to do one before the baby comes, but we decided to have ours after the TPR - terminatioos vrtyn of parental rights - was signed.  We were most comfortable with that.

This exactly. I struggled with feelings of sadness for the bm following adoption and it would've been nice for a friend to jump in and do a shower. (i had friends offer but I stupidly declined. Registering both makes sense as traditionally, ppl have a shower for the firstborn only. Also asking about tpr is also a good idea.
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"