Cloth Diapering

Daycare won't take cloth, so should I give up on CD?

Quick back story: I signed up for daycare at 10 weeks because otherwise you won't find an infant spot if you wait past 12 weeks. Just the way it is here. So in my search and tours, I fell for this one daycare, the one we're going with, but our state (TN) does not allow cloth diapers in day care facilities. I've looked up the law and sure enough, there it is in all of its ignorance. This place is my best option in terms of price, location and schedule because I will be going back to work at 6-8 weeks since I just started in Oct. and don't have FMLA or STD and will have LO there full-time. So changing that is not an option. </back story>

So here's my question: I've already started a pocket stash of BGS, etc., and am planning to cloth diaper my baby at night and on the weekends when she's not in DC. But now I'm starting to worry I'm just making more work for myself in doing this if she has to be in sposies for most of the day until she's potty trained. The thought of her in sposies with chemicals, etc. has me upset, but I guess I could try 7th generation or Jessica Alba's new Honest brand. Has anyone else experienced this?

The environmental and health impact are the driving force behind my husband and I wanting to CD, but maybe I just need to be realistic and let this one thing go? We're still planning to breastfeed, make our own food, buy used clothes, etc., to minimize our footprint, but I'm going to be disappointed in myself if I don't CD. Thoughts or advice? Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare won't take cloth, so should I give up on CD?

• IMO it's still totally worth it to CD at night and on the weekends. DD went to daycare for a short time and they didn't CD her. We still saved $ and felt great about not filling the home trash can with disposables! It wasn't that much extra work, I promise
  • Is there any evidence that switching back and forth will irritate a baby's skin? Looking at the math, LO will be in DC/sposieville for 45 hours a week, but could be at home/with me in cloth for the remaining 123 hours. So that would still have a significant impact if we used cloth for just that time and still keep it cost effective. Encouragement and advice is good, appreciate any that y'all have to offer! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • DD never knew the difference from switching back and forth.

Give it a try. Worst case it doesn't work out and you have to sell new stuff (good return on investment). Best case you're CDing all the time at home. Plenty of people CD part time. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

• definitely still worth it!

what happens if your LO is allergic to disposables? do they allow it then? just curious because my DD is and i can't imagine what i'd do if they wouldn't take a doctors note.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We just started CD to try it out we only have a small stash for when DS is at home... I'm considering asking if Day Care will use them but then I'd have to buy more diapers.  I like using them at home I guess I really should ask Day Care about it but I'm not good at bringing things up and think I'm afraid of being turned down for some reason. Maybe I can convince DH to ask :D
  • Some daycares will allow gdiapers or similar...check into it. and if not, still worth it to cloth diaper IMO. 
  • Still worth it. But, if you decide not to the 7th gen ones worked well for us when we have had to use them. 
  • This is our situation. Daycare (which I won't give up, they're great in every other way) needs to be able to toss out the waste, and putting it in a wetbag won't cut it.  DD is in sposies for 45-50hrs/week, but we CD part time.

Laundry is still super easy (easier still during the week since there is less in a load). I feel a little smug every time DD is in different clothes when there's been a blowout and how that never happens at home, reaffirming my choice.

DD's skin hasn't been affected, fwiw. 

The downsides to CD part-time is the increase in a land fill from using the sposies, and it will take longer to get your money's worth out of the cloth. But part time is definitely better than no time.

Good luck! The one piece of advice I will give you is to think of overnight diapers as a more important piece of your stash, because these will be used throughout the week when LO is older. In other words, it's a way to justify cute but pricey fitteds...

• I think as long as you CD when able, your still making a difference. When we started CD, I only used them when I was around to get use to them before I expected my mom to use them. Any amount you can save is worth it, IMO.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did the same mental calculation. 48 hours a week of daycare is still only 2 of 7 days.

And to the PP nervous to ask the daycare, the worst they can say is no, which would be the same situation as now. You remind me of myself getting too psyched out to ask for a raise. 

• Wink

imagemeep13:
    We just started CD to try it out we only have a small stash for when DS is at home... I'm considering asking if Day Care will use them but then I'd have to buy more diapers.  I like using them at home I guess I really should ask Day Care about it but I'm not good at bringing things up and think I'm afraid of being turned down for some reason. Maybe I can convince DH to ask :D

But don't you have to buy more disposable diapers anyway? Wink

Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Thanks again, everyone. We're going full steam ahead again with cloth for the non-daycare hours of the week. Needed a little boost there, was feeling unsure and hatin' on sposies. Glad LO won't experience any adverse effects from switching back and forth. I'm sure the DC is used to dealing with blowouts by now. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"