April 2011 Moms

ER charges without seeing doctor?

Just wondered if anyone has taken LO to the ER, then left before seeing the doctor? We did it last night, and now I'm wondering if we are still going to get a bill for the entire visit, even if we didn't see a doctor.

We took him because the advice nurse recommended it, since he was wheezing a bit and had a breathing rate of around 65 (nurse said above 50 should come in). There were a million people in the ER...tons of kids, as it is the only ER for kids in San Diego. He was briefly seen by a nurse who gave him Tylenol and said he didn't seem too bad. Then we waited in the waiting room surrounded by coughing kids forever to see the doctor. In the meantime, his breathing went back to normal and he was a total happy camper, and he eventually passed out asleep. They said the wait could be another 2 hours, so we left. Just hoping I don't get a bill for $100 or more for basically just getting a dose of Tylenol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ER charges without seeing doctor?

• imageGrace0609:
    When you go to the ER there are multiple charges: nurse, hospital facility charge, charges for meds, physician charge, etc. You won't get a physician bill b/c he/she would have to chart something to be able to bill. But you could get other charges, not sure about that part.

Ditto this...I would think you would get charged for something...but I'd fight a physician's charge, as you didn't see a doctor.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, you'll be charged. You're charged for every little thing, so the administrative/registration even costs you. Seeing that nurse and getting the meds will definitely cost you. Based on my experience, I would imagine you'll pay over $100 since ERs are so freaking expensive. Definitely fight it if they do not give you a detailed statement showing what you paid for or if they charge for the Dr. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"