June 2011 Moms

?'s for the carseat safety patrol

We just installed B's new convertible car seat. I know you're supposed to level them, ground parallel to the line on the base. I have an Elantra and the back seat bottom angles down. We got a leveler wedge. It's made of that thick foam like the swimming noodles. But, as tight as we have the seat installed, it can still slide side to side. I don't feel comfortable with this. What can we do about that? Also, how important is it to have the seat leveled exactly? It is level, but what do you do when LO falls asleep and their head flops forward? The seat is in the correct recline position, but would it be bad if we tilted it a little further back?

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ?'s for the carseat safety patrol

• It's my understanding that it definitely needs to be level but movement of no more than an inch one way or another isn't a issue. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

We put a folded up bath towel underneath the seat to level it out (we have the same sloped seats) and it works great.

Also if you put your knees into the seat and pull on the seatbelt (or latch belt) you'll get a tighter fit.  I have to have my H do because I'm not strong enough.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSgt M's Wife:

It's my understanding that it definitely needs to be level but movement of no more than an inch one way or another isn't a issue. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

We put a folded up bath towel underneath the seat to level it out (we have the same sloped seats) and it works great.

Also if you put your knees into the seat and pull on the seatbelt (or latch belt) you'll get a tighter fit.  I have to have my H do because I'm not strong enough.

Yes, everything she said hahaha! We also used towels and I go by the "movement of no more than one inch in every direction" rule.

• Loading the player...
  • imageDani0701:
    We just installed B's new convertible car seat. I know you're supposed to level them, ground parallel to the line on the base. I have an Elantra and the back seat bottom angles down. We got a leveler wedge. It's made of that thick foam like the swimming noodles. But, as tight as we have the seat installed, it can still slide side to side. I don't feel comfortable with this. What can we do about that? Also, how important is it to have the seat leveled exactly? It is level, but what do you do when LO falls asleep and their head flops forward? The seat is in the correct recline position, but would it be bad if we tilted it a little further back?

If you're very concerned, I would bring it to an inspection place and have them show you how to properly install it. Our local police station does it.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • So what do you do when their heads flop forward?

Anniversary

• imageDani0701:
    So what do you do when their heads flop forward?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Does he not have good head control?

ETA: nevermind, I reread your original post. I would imagine you just leave it. They'll move if they're super uncomfortable. You survive when you fall asleep sitting up and your head flops forward, right? Smile  hehe

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • imagecvl105:

imageDani0701:

ETA: nevermind, I reread your original post. I would imagine you just leave it. They'll move if they're super uncomfortable. You survive when you fall asleep sitting up and your head flops forward, right? Smile  hehe

I just read something (and I can't remember for the life of me where) that it could give them a hard time breathing/block their airway.  It's just SO FAR FORWARD that it gets me nervous.  Does this not happen with anyone's LO?

Anniversary

• imageDani0701:
    imagecvl105:

imageDani0701:

I just read something (and I can't remember for the life of me where) that it could give them a hard time breathing/block their airway.  It's just SO FAR FORWARD that it gets me nervous.  Does this not happen with anyone's LO?

ah ok, I don't know anything about that. We're still in the infant carrier, so we haven't had to deal with it yet. Hopefully someone who has or BTDT can provide some input.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • imageSgt M's Wife:

It's my understanding that it definitely needs to be level but movement of no more than an inch one way or another isn't a issue. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, how about those car seat inspection places?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/cps/CPSFitting/Index.cfm

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When Sophia is in the car seat and she falls asleep her head goes off to the side.  I think it's due to the incline of the seat.  We've never found her chin to chest since she's been able to hold her head up.

I think at this point they're pretty safe in that department.  Like PP said, if they get uncomfortable they just re-adjust.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do you have the car seat reclined all the way? I read somewhere that it is totally okay for their head to slump forward when they fall asleep.

The car seat should NOT more than one inch in any direction... I installed mine and it does not move side to side but man can it move front to back! So.. we don't use it yet and I'm getting someone to inspect it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSgt M's Wife:

Ditto all of this.

The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
    Liam - 5.17.11
  • I went and had both of our cars inspected this week by our local Highway Patrol.  He explained to me that Britax convertible seats, unlike other manufacturers, has a range of acceptable angles from 37 degrees (level with the blue line) to 45 degrees.  My seat, which I thought was level, was 40 according to him.  He also said that the front to back movement (ie seat tips toward the back of the car) is considered "normal" and is part of the impact protection.  

The only place to check for proper movement is right at the base where it connects to the seatbelt or LATCH system.  This is where the seat should not move more than one inch total left and right.  

I found it helpful to have it inspected because he was able to show me where to put the extra strap so that it didn't have to go over the top of the car seat, which would have made it a pain to get DS into and out of the seat.

The seat checks took about 30 minutes per car and were free.  

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • imageSpceCadet:

I went and had both of our cars inspected this week by our local Highway Patrol.  He explained to me that Britax convertible seats, unlike other manufacturers, has a range of acceptable angles from 37 degrees (level with the blue line) to 45 degrees.  My seat, which I thought was level, was 40 according to him.  He also said that the front to back movement (ie seat tips toward the back of the car) is considered "normal" and is part of the impact protection.  

The only place to check for proper movement is right at the base where it connects to the seatbelt or LATCH system.  This is where the seat should not move more than one inch total left and right.  

I found it helpful to have it inspected because he was able to show me where to put the extra strap so that it didn't have to go over the top of the car seat, which would have made it a pain to get DS into and out of the seat.

The seat checks took about 30 minutes per car and were free.  

So you mean where the back of the seat and the part you sit on meet?  I have the seat as tight as it will go.  I sat in it until I didn't hear it locking up anymore, but the back of the carseat base (closest to the front of the car) moves a few inches.

My grandpa and DH always sleep with their heads slumped all the forward, they made it as far as they did, so I guess he'll be ok!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"