Pregnant after 35

hospital or birthing center?

This is my third baby and with my first two I had them at the hospital. I had a great experience there and would have no problem going back.The thing is, now my insurance allows us to choose either the hospital or the birthing center.

My OB has a preference for the birthing center but I think that's in large part because it's steps away from her office.

Do any of you have experience with both?

Re: hospital or birthing center?

• Unfortunately, I didn't have the option because I was a high risk pregnancy, but I would have loved to at least look into it. 
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • I think it is just a question of personal preference and what makes you feel more comfortable.  For me, I am too much of a worrier.  I want to be at the hospital; just in case something goes wrong or the baby needs help from the NICU or something.  The fear of taking the extra time to transport to the hospital would just make me too nervous.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • If I had the option, I think I'd at least tour the birthing center to see if it looked like a more comfortable option, especially if my OB was affiliated with them. (I've only had 1, and was induced, and eventually had a csect with him when I failed to dialate fully, and his heart rate wasn't recovering well from the contractions) Given my history of GD, and HBP with my last pregnancy, I doubt I'll get that option, but if I'm understanding correctly, I think my managed care program uses midwives for all deliveries, unless complications are happening, in which case, they have OB's there at the hospital. I'll learn more about that after my first visit (which is with a midwife)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"