Parenting after 35

if you're sure you're "done" having LO's

would you ask DH/SO to get the snip?  I've brought it up to my DH and for some reason he's being a stubborn a$$ about it.  I'm optimistic that I'll be able to deliver vaginally this time as I did last time (if I end up having a C, maybe I could ask them to tie my tubes right then) but there's NO WAY I would go under general and have incisions in my belly when it would take 30 minutes for him to do it on an outpatient basis.  I'm hoping he'll come around, my body does not tolerate the pill very well (and even if it did, I'm getting too old for it!) and I don't relish the idea of using condoms when I'm 50.  My mom went through menopause late, so I'm guessing I will too...  
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: if you're sure you're "done" having LO's

• I'm just lurking here, but I just went through this.  I planned to have a vag delivery and didn't think I wanted a tubal afterward, but when I was talking with my labor nurse she told me that they do tubals all the time after vag deliveries.  They just leave your epidural tubing in place and use that for anesthesia. 

So, the next morning after I delivered, they took me down the hall to day surgery and the tubal took about an hour.  Absolutely no issues with the epi and the incision is about an inch long right under my belly button.  Recovery was no different than my other vag deliveries.

I had no idea they could use the epi, so just wanted to put it out there in case you wanted to consider it :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pretty sure with a c-section, they won't do other things while they're poking around in there.... too much can go wrong, I guess.

I only say this since I asked if they could get the fibroids out as well.. doc said they can't do that since it's a risk to the mother to have you open longer. 

The real answer is probably that they just want you to do a second procedure to get more money out of you!  Ha!

• Loading the player...
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Pretty sure with a c-section, they won't do other things while they're poking around in there.... too much can go wrong, I guess.

I only say this since I asked if they could get the fibroids out as well.. doc said they can't do that since it's a risk to the mother to have you open longer. 

The real answer is probably that they just want you to do a second procedure to get more money out of you!  Ha!

I had an emergency C-section and as they were hurrying me down the hall to the OR, my OB asked me if I wanted my tubes tied "while I'm in there".  The thought of no more kids ever sent me into panic and I didn't have my tubes tied.

Point being, they will easily tie your tubes "while they're in there".  I'd be frustrated that your husband won't commit to an outpatient minor surgery though.

• imageLauraLynneC:
    imageBrideBuddies:

Pretty sure with a c-section, they won't do other things while they're poking around in there.... too much can go wrong, I guess.

I had an emergency C-section and as they were hurrying me down the hall to the OR, my OB asked me if I wanted my tubes tied "while I'm in there".  The thought of no more kids ever sent me into panic and I didn't have my tubes tied.

Point being, they will easily tie your tubes "while they're in there".  I'd be frustrated that your husband won't commit to an outpatient minor surgery though.

WTH!  the doc asked you that while you were being rushed to the OR????  Bad!  

• I feel the same you, recampbell. If I need a c/s this time then I may have them tie my tubes while they're in there, but no effing way would I have it done as a separate procedure when it would be so much easier for DH to get the snip.
  • imageBrideBuddies:

While rushing to the OR isn't a good time to bring it up, I have a friend who had a planned c-section and they asked her and she opted to have it done.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I'm "done" but I won't ask DH to get snipped or consider it for myself. Currently taking pills and considering an IUD for the future. I guess the permanency of it scares me. I figure the odds of me getting pregnant while on the pill, which clears my acne (which I still get at 41!!!!), would be rare.

So, for me, the pill is fine. But otherwise I'd look into other options.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • It's not a bad idea...one I haven't really considered, though just yesterday I was thinking about birth control options once we're done with little ones.  I don't do well on the pill or other hormonal methods.   I have no idea how DH would take the suggestion.  It might look a lot more appealing as compared to condoms!  HA! Honestly, it's an easy reversal for men, so it doesn't even have to be permanent. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Pretty sure with a c-section, they won't do other things while they're poking around in there.... too much can go wrong, I guess.

Fibroid removal is completely different than a tubal. I had two c-sections, the second one planned and opted for a tubal with the second. Even though the second c-section was scheduled, I had some complications and had to have the procedures done a little earlier than planned. The reason we opted for a tubal instead of dh having a procedure done, was because it was much cheaper and easier for me to do it since I was getting a c-section anyway. Didn't have to pay for extra anastesia, operating room, doctors, etc. If I hadn't had a c-section dh would've had the procedure. I was never on any type of birth-control beforehand and I don't feel any different afterward.

• Yes, DH is getting snipped.  It is his turn by far, IMO.  I will also be getting Paragard for backup because we are DONE.  (I can't take hormonal BC due to a history of blood clots).

Your DH will probably come around.  Give him some time to adjust to the idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband wouldn't get the snip either Angry

So I got the Paragard IUD and it was in 1 month and I got pregnant with Ruby!!   After Ruby,l got the Essure procedure.  I also didn't want to go under greneral anesthesia for a tubal, which is why I chose Essure.

• Hell and yes.  We already had the discussion.  Things they don't tell you about tubals are they can cause, in some women (more the exception than the norm) abnormal periods (more frequent, heavier, etc.), more pain during menses and so on.  Given issues in the past, it's not something I want to risk.  His is quick, outpatient, very few issues and reversible.  I told DH if I can go through childbirth twice, he can have some skin in the game too and he readily agreed.  He's already planning on doing it either this year or next in March so he can sit out from work and watch March Madness with a bag of peas on his crotch.  FWIW, if your DH is freaked by undergoing the procedure awake, there are urologists that can perform the operation while sedated completely so you can check around.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• DH will be getting snipped. This is my second pregnancy and I'm 50 times more tired than I was the first time around.  For whatever reason, the IUD freaks DH out--I can't use oral b/c because of my pre-hypertensive blood pressure
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mwdmwd member
    Discuss BC options with your ob.  If you'd be interested in having your tubes tied, let him/her know. I had a Mirena put in 6 weeks after DD was born, and have had irregular periods since.  DH is not willing to be snipped,  which is a pain.  
  • I was scheduled to have my c-section 4/4/11 due to LO being breech, but my water broke 3/11/11. LO was still breech so the c-section was a go. It wasn't an emergency surgery. My dr asked while I was being prepped "are we tying your tubes while I'm in here," and I said nah, let's just deliver my daughter today :)

I currently take BC pills, took them pre-baby. I've been lucky and haven't experienced any side effects from the pills. While it's not really a pain to remember to take them since I take them along with other meds at the same time, it would be nice to take one less pill. Before I said that I wouldn't think of asking MH to get snipped, but now...when we have our next LO s/he will be a c-section too. Like a PP said, if I can put myself through 2 surgeries to safely deliver our children, now I feel like it's only fair for him to at least consider a vasectomy (provided we're done at 2, which we most likely are).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DH has been snipped twice, it's only fair. I'm thinking of getting the Essure done as well for good measure. My doctor is pretty sure we're the reason "effective" and "permanent" birth control still has a failure rate.
  • We talked about it and I choose to have my tubes tied IF there weren't any complications during the c/s (of course those were the rules of my MD).

Luckily for me (or I should say DH, LOL) I didn't have any complications and was able to have my tubes tied this past May.

I suggest you do your research first. I did a lot of research. The only thing different since having them tied is my monthly cycle is worse (before it was 3-4 days) and now its seriously 7-9 days (and I am EBF), and then there are the migraines (that pound for 3-4 days). I never had a cramp in my life and now its worse. I wish I had taken my uterus out, just sayin' Good luck! Oh I had to take a class and sign off in order to get my tubes tied. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My husband and I decided even before we got married that he'd be getting snipped once we either decided not to have kids at all or once we had the kids we want. It actually drives him kind of nuts that there isn't an effective method of birth control for men other than condoms, he really wishes that they'd figure out a way to have a men's birth control pill. 

Anyway, after seeing what I went through with pills, he volunteered the snip. We have friends who've had it done, so other than his admitted psychological hangups about it, he's really comfortable with the procedure. He was boggled that anyone would choose internal surgery for the woman over an outpatient procedure for the guy.  He'll be making the appointment with our doctor 6 months out from our baby being born. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"