Working Moms
Options

Goodbye public accounting...

Hello internal auditing :)

I totally loved my job, but my 2.5 hours of daily commuting was starting to wear on me. I was lucky enough to find a job with an international fortune 500 company 15 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from daycare.

I'm worried I might be bored switching from a fast paced senior auditor position at a CPA firm to a 9-5, go to the same place everyday job...But for more money and way less driving, it's worth a shot. Anyone here an internal auditor?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Goodbye public accounting...

• Options
    Sounds like a great move. My sister switched from public accounting to an internal audit position and never regretted it. Besides the fact that you are getting a raise, think of how much more $/hrs worked you are gaining. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I do not do public accounting, I do corporate accounting...but I switched to internal audit and hated it! I did it for the flexibility and the fact that they were going to let me work from home once I had my son. I did it for a couple of months and it just wasnt something I liked doing, but I was willing to do it because of the work from home 2 days a week option and the raise. I got lucky that they did a company reorg while I was on maternity leave and they offered to let me come back to accounting (because they really needed the experience) and still let me work from home. So I got lucky there. But like you, I would have taken it (and kept it) for the upside...and it sounds like a HUGE upside for you! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

And probably significantly less hours too? 

Congratulations! I've never done internal audit but I have some friends who love it and some friends who hate it. I think you'll have to give it sometime before you decide.

One thing both sides love is the fact that they are no longer in public accounting. I have to agree with that!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Like you guys say, some people I talk to love it, some totally hate it. The firm I was with told me that my position will always be available if I want to come back :)

But I would really have to despise internal audit to leave the better pay, benefits, and drive time to go back to the 2.5 hrs in the car every day along with 50+ hour work weeks and travel :)  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I switched from public to corporate accounting (financial reporting).  Working in corporate is so much better than public.  I am still busy at quarter ends, but nothing like public.  The biggest advantage for me in no traveling and better hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in tax, so I don't have any experience with internal audit, but leaving public accounting was hands down one of the the best things I have ever done.
  • Options
    Nope - but I left public accounting 7.5 years ago and I never once regretted it - not for a single second. Work-life balance is significantly better and I get paid more too.  And I'm never, ever bored!
  • Options

I worked in public accounting and left a few months ago.  I would take internal audit position in a heart beat if I found something else to my house. 

I worked in industry for a year and will admit I got bored but could have made it to manager or further if I wanted but moved as I got married.  GL - I don't think you'll regret it at all!

• Options

I went from a Big 4 auditor (where I earned my CPA) to a Fortune 500 company internal auditor.  I don't regret it at all.

Although, I've been in internal audit for 3 years now and the 25% overnight travel is really getting to me.

I'm hoping for a transfer within a year or so to a position with less travel.

• Options

great move-

I celebrated the day I left public.

Congrats and BEST of luck! Enjoy

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I consistently see people say that leaving public accounting was the best thing they have ever done. I do not know one person who has regretted that choice. So why does it terrify me to even think about leaving? (TBH, minus the stress, I do mostly like my job)
  • Options
    I work as an external auditor. So a bit different. But I work for the State so it's a 9-5 job. Well, we actually work 4 10-hour days (which is AWESOME), but we have set hours, and get paid hourly. I could never work public; I think it would kill me.
    nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"