Success after IF

What to serve at a 3-5pm bday party?

We're having Jacob's 3rd birthday party at a local fire department.  He's going to love it!  They get a tour of the station, try on the gear and sit in a fire truck.  We're having it from 3pm to 5pm on a Sunday.

Obviously, I'll be serving cake or cupcakes.  But do I need to serve a meal?  I don't think that I do since its not a meal time, but I will if I should

I was thinking about munchies (chips, pretzels, dips), some hot appetizers, fruit and veggies.  But not a full meal.  Does that sound right?  Other suggestions?

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What to serve at a 3-5pm bday party?

• No meal.

And frankly? I'd go light on the apps too. People tend to graze just because the food is there but most parents are less than thrilled with how difficult trying to get dinner into them will be if they fill up right before.

I think less is more for food at a party with that time frame.

Jason's is Saturday 3-5 and we're only setting out some grapes, gold fish and carrot sticks.

The cake alone will be plenty! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • I think just munchies and cake is fine, i dont' even thing you need hot appetizers :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow you are sure on top of things.  I haven't even thought about Nicholas' birthday yet.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I am in the minority. I always figured if people were taking the time to come to the party and buy a gift then I should feed them, regardless of what time it is.

This year we are having Brady's party at a local jump house place and we are ordering pizzas for everyone even though it isnt a meal time. We will also have chips, crackers, fruit, juice/water, and cake.

• A meal at that hour is absolutely not needed. We did Henry's party at 3p last year and in addition to cake and ice cream I had three dips (one hot) with various chips and crackers. Plan to do something vey similar for E's upcoming party.
  • I wouldn't serve much food at all.  I know for me, when we go to a party that time, I still want my kids to eat dinner when we get home, so I'd hate to have them snacking too much at that time.

Maybe just fruit and dessert.

And what a cute idea for a party!  How fun! 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Such a great birthday party idea! I'll have to store that one :)

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have done DD's parties at 4pm- and I alway serve a full hot dinner. But I'm in the camp of every party- no matter what the time should have some sort of meal- even if it's pizza, wings, or sandwiches.

I think you are fine with hot appetizers, maybe pigs in a blanket, little quiches, or wings. But I would make sure you have enough- it's close enough to dinner time that people will be hungry.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did Graeme's at that time and served appetizers...chips and dip, roasted shrimp, veggies, and a few other things that went with the theme of his party. It was more than enough with cake and cupcakes.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• i agree with serving a meal or substantial appetizers regardless of what time it is. sounds like it will be a fun time!...:):)
    After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • I'd keep it simple, but people expected food for my parties at the same time.  We have small parties though.  We had about 20-25 people - ok that is small for me including kids.  I had it at 3pm - 5pm and just did pizzas, last time I had sandwiches made at a local grocery store, but that was more expensive.  I know people who come to my parties expect to eat - not sure why.  I was thinking of not having anything, but I'm glad I decided on pizza at ht last minute.  It was a 3 yr old part - jsut this past weekend - so fresh in mind.  I think the fire dept idea is super cute!  enjoy!
  • This is what we did for DS's party last weekend from 3-5 :

goldfish (lots of kids)

cheese cubes and crackers

cookies

cake

fruit and dip

veggies and dip

juice boxes / pop / water / beer

I definitely wouldn't do a meal, and since its not at your house, I would keep it to snacks that don't need to be kept warm / fuss over etc.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"