Eco-Friendly Family

Cleaning House- two questions re: kitchen cabinets and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

There are some grimy spots that I'm having a hard time getting off my kitchen cabinets with my vinegar, water and elbow grease mixture =D  If I made a baking soda paste could I use it on them or would it be too abrasive?  Any other thoughts?

I'm also not sure if the Magic Eraser is eco-friendly or not (or if there is a suitable substitute).  We have white trim throughout the house and little kid fingers are making everything dirty.  Thanks! 

Re: Cleaning House- two questions re: kitchen cabinets and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

• The Magic Eraser is essentially a bad saturated with cleaner and baking soda. Using a damp rag dipped in baking soda is what I usually use. I also make a spray cleaner with a little Dr. Bronner's and vinegar diluted in water (2tbs. Dr. B's, 1c vinegar, the rest of the bottle with water). That cuts grease really well, especially on the surfaces near my stove. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a grease cutter recipe that is just 2c water, 1/4c castile soap and 10 drops lavender oil.  It works GREAT!
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Loading the player...
  • I would try the baking soda paste (made with a bit of vinegar, not water) first.  It'm almost positive that it is less abrasive than a magic eraser.  

I think that the Magic Eraser is basically a lump of melamine.  So while it isn't super EF, I wind up justifying using it on the soap scum on the bathroom tub and using only water with it versus using a ton of nasty chemicals and way more elbow grease.

• I can't give up my Magic Eraser.
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • imageCABunny:
    I can't give up my Magic Eraser.

Yeah, it's my dirty EFF'er secret :) 

• imageCABunny:
    I can't give up my Magic Eraser.

It's one of my remaining vices.  PPH it <3 

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"