April 2012 Moms

People selling drop-side cribs

So, I've been Craigslist stalking and I am absolutely shocked at the amount of people selling drop side cribs. 

Its not like it wasn't a highly publicized event when they were banned...and its not like the consequences for buying one are petty in any way, shape or form.

And the kicker?

People are buying them.

Um. Really?

I'd rather LO sleep in a PNP for the rest of her natural life than to sleep in one of those death-traps just so I can save a few pennies.

Wtf is wrong with people....especially this woman..she's actually searching one out.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bab/2810486639.html 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: People selling drop-side cribs

• "I know you can't legally sell it to me, but you can give it to me" Confused

They sell actual toddler beds. They aren't even that expensivel I have 2 of them. She should look for a safer handout than a drop side she promises to alter.

WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • She's seeking it out for use as a toddler bed.  Which, I assume would mean taking the drop-side off.  She's also saying she's only seeking out an "illegal" crib because she can't afford to pay for a "legal" crib.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • They sell actual toddler beds. They aren't even that expensivel I have 2 of them. She should look for a safer handout than a drop side she promises to alter.

But you don't know her financial situation.  Buying even a $50 toddler bed plus a mattress can be unreachable for people who can't even afford to put food on the table. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Ii would never put my LO in a drop side crib either but for the record, the manufactures of these cribs have to provide you with the hardware to make the crib no longer "dropside". if you contact the company they are to send it, no questions asked.

But i do agree, why would someone seek one out??? especially when the have such great priced "safe" cribs out there that dont cost anymore than the price of a pack-n-play. wal-mart sells entire nursery sets for the price of some of the cribs out there. There is a crib for every budget, no excuses if you ask me. :)

• imagedixee.deluxe:

They sell actual toddler beds. They aren't even that expensivel I have 2 of them. She should look for a safer handout than a drop side she promises to alter.

But you don't know her financial situation.  Buying even a $50 toddler bed plus a mattress can be unreachable for people who can't even afford to put food on the table. 

There are a few toddler beds on there for under $30.00.

I totally get what you're saying, but its also illegal to just "give them away" for a reason. I would probably try to put LO in my bed until I could save enough to buy her a toddler bed that was safe. 

• I have a drop side that I used with my DD and will be using again this time. We are NOT attaching the feature to secure it, either. Now, I agree with you...I would not buy one from someone else on some website. I know how much mine was used, we had no issues, it is actually a little hard to get up and down (PotteryBarn White Sleigh Crib). We also don't move LO into the crib until about 2-3 months and even then, we have video monitors/cameras all over our house which will include one over LO's crib. I think it is a shame that some parents who do not watch over their children or move them out of the crib when they start climbing the sides cause the crib I spent over $700 for 3 years ago to be banned. Now because of the height and I am 5'2 I can't fix the side or I won't be able to reach the baby.

I have all the confidence in the world in our crib. I would not buy one second-hand though. Nor will I sell mine when I am done with it, unless we sell it and my husband uses the hardware they sent us to "fix" the drop side.

I can tell you now, I certainly wouldn't go searching for one and would think it was very strange if someone I knew wanted mine for that reason...

• She sounds a bit like she's in dire straights... I can't imagine sawing off the edges of a metal crib would be all together that safe either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My cousin still uses my sister's drop side crib, he just bolted it down so the side doesn't drop anymore. That way he didn't have to go out and buy a new one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenrandolph:

I have a drop side that I used with my DD and will be using again this time. We are NOT attaching the feature to secure it, either. Now, I agree with you...I would not buy one from someone else on some website. I know how much mine was used, we had no issues, it is actually a little hard to get up and down (PotteryBarn White Sleigh Crib). We also don't move LO into the crib until about 2-3 months and even then, we have video monitors/cameras all over our house which will include one over LO's crib. I think it is a shame that some parents who do not watch over their children or move them out of the crib when they start climbing the sides cause the crib I spent over $700 for 3 years ago to be banned. Now because of the height and I am 5'2 I can't fix the side or I won't be able to reach the baby.

I have all the confidence in the world in our crib. I would not buy one second-hand though. Nor will I sell mine when I am done with it, unless we sell it and my husband uses the hardware they sent us to "fix" the drop side.

I can tell you now, I certainly wouldn't go searching for one and would think it was very strange if someone I knew wanted mine for that reason...

This is me exactly.

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are re-using our pottery barn drop side sleigh crib for this baby. We do have the kit to make it stationary, but even if we didn't I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. It is a very solid, good crib. I understand the readinin behind recalling all drop side cribs, but that doesn't automatically mean that all are "death traps".
  • imagedixee.deluxe:

I get what you're saying, I understand what it is to be so broke you skip a meal so your child eats that day... I am incredibly thankful not to be in that position any more, and I'm not trying to be unsympathetic to that part of what she's saying but I would seek out someone willing to give away a toddler bed or a crib that isn't illegal before jumping straight to "can I have your illegal drop side crib?" I'd rather my kiddo just stay in my bed with me (and I have a child I CAN'T sleep with because she flails in her sleep)

WDE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos Auburn Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DD1- 12/26/05 DD2- 4/12/12
  • We were gifted an older drop side crib and from everything I read, this crib does not have the same dangers that newer cribs have. The problem with the newer cribs is that the bottom corner is not attached to anything when the side is up. So it can swing out and cause a child to slide in between the side and the mattress and cause suffocation. It seems like the older cribs were more sturdily built where the new ones just have plastic parts that could easily break.

The crib I have has a metal rod that prevents any part of it from swinging out. And it would never just "fall" down, even with vigorous activity. DH even STOOD on the side while I held the other side (So it wouldn't tip over, He's 200 pounds!) and  it didn't budge. 

I have every confidence in this crib and will have no problem using it for DD. (DS is in a crib we bought in 2010 for him and we will convert that to a toddler bed when we move him to his "big boy room" in August). 

I understand why the newer style drop side cribs with plastic rails would be banned. They do seem quite dangerous. But the older style like I received do not seem to have the same risk, but I haven't seen any that were made like that in the last 10 years or so.  

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I guess some people do not care about safety. But then again, it also surprises me to see how many people smoke next to an infant/child, so I guess I am not that shocked.

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageateal2490:

So, I've been Craigslist stalking and I am absolutely shocked at the amount of people selling drop side cribs. 

Its not like it wasn't a highly publicized event when they were banned...and its not like the consequences for buying one are petty in any way, shape or form.

And the kicker?

People are buying them.

Um. Really?

I'd rather LO sleep in a PNP for the rest of her natural life than to sleep in one of those death-traps just so I can save a few pennies.

Wtf is wrong with people....especially this woman..she's actually searching one out.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bab/2810486639.html 

Mother for the year right there. It kills me the amount of people who put on a pity party saying things like "I'm so poor I can't afford to pay". I mean really?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"