April 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone dealing with anemia?

We had LO's 9 month check up today and they do the blood test for anemia.  I was told because she is BF and just recently started taking an interest in solids (as in just for the past week), she would most likely be a little bit low.  Nothing to worry about and just try to really offer leafy green veggies. 

Then I got a call at ten of six, telling me they want me to start her on an iron supplement 3x a day for the next 3 months and they will retest again then to see if they have improved.  I plan on calling tomorrow to see how low her levels really were since they didn't mention needing a supplement before.  But anyone else have this going on? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone dealing with anemia?

• Options
    Our pedi just asked us to start DD on an iron supplement 1x a day for a month and then they're going to recheck it.  DD's level was an 8.6 which the pedi and hematologist said were "ok" so I was hesitant to start the drops- although I did.  After 2 days/doses DD is already straining to poop which bothers me big time.  I plan on skipping every other day to see if that makes a difference.  
  • Options

Jack got put on iron last week at his appointment. We are doing 1x a day and they will check again in 3 months (I can come in 6 weeks and have his levels check if I want.)

If she is straining to poop already, I would call the dr about maybe cutting down the dosage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAFWifeGeorge:
    Our pedi just asked us to start DD on an iron supplement 1x a day for a month and then they're going to recheck it.  DD's level was an 8.6 which the pedi and hematologist said were "ok" so I was hesitant to start the drops- although I did.  After 2 days/doses DD is already straining to poop which bothers me big time.  I plan on skipping every other day to see if that makes a difference.  

That makes me nervous with being asked to do it 3 x a day.  I checked in with my sister (she is a nurse and has 4 kids) and she was surprised that they wanted me to give so much and said to call and check in.  Thanks for the responses!

• Options
    I just got the call literally an hour ago to start iron supplement 1 x a day. I would DEFINITELY call and check before giving more than once a day.
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageshaindelr:
    I just got the call literally an hour ago to start iron supplement 1 x a day. I would DEFINITELY call and check before giving more than once a day.

Been going back and forth with the nurses line all day.  I ask questions, they go check with the doctor and call me back.  Luckily, one of the paraprofessionals who works in my classroom has a degree in biology and a background in the medical field, so she gave me some great questions to ask and some more info.  Hopefully we can get it figured out soon. 

• Options
    imageKmhsswim:

imageshaindelr:

Been going back and forth with the nurses line all day.  I ask questions, they go check with the doctor and call me back.  Luckily, one of the paraprofessionals who works in my classroom has a degree in biology and a background in the medical field, so she gave me some great questions to ask and some more info.  Hopefully we can get it figured out soon. 

Good luck getting this figured out! Like you and others said, 3x per day sounds extreme, although I'm no expert

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"