Food Allergy
Options

Some questions

Hello!  This is my first time over here and I have a few questions.

Let me start by saying I have a mild dairy allergy myself-so mild it is very easy to forget about when I want pizza or ice cream.  Since I had LO (and since I was pg, really..) my limited dairy diet went out the window..I justified it by saying I needed the extra calcium. 

I now have reason to believe that LO has inherited my allergy. (He just gets BM). He has days where he is fussier than normal and  has days where he pretty much cries non-stop.  On Saturday night I was holding him (after fussing all day) and it sounded like he pooped.  When I went to change him all there was in the diaper was what looked like a wad of mucus that was orangish-upon closer inspection it looked like there might have been a little blood in it.  Everything I have read says most likely a dairy allergy, which makes  sense since I have the allergy already.

What I was wondering is how do pediatricians test for a food allergy in babies?  As of yesterday  I am back on my diet.  I know it can take a couple weeks for the proteins to be completely out of your system but LO already seems less fussy today.  Is eliminating and reintroducing the offending food the only way to "test" it?  

Also, any links to dairy free recipes?  I did a little looking and couldn't really find anything that looked good :/ TIA! 

Re: Some questions

• Options
    As for testing, they can do a RAST blood test and follow it up with a skin scratch test, but IDK if doc will do that this early. They will probably just tell you to take out all dairy from your diet and they will test him after hes one...this has been my experiences anyways..docs arent much help with anything!

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Your best bet is to cut it out of your diet and that can take about 2 weeks to completely empty out of your system. I don't know of any pedi's/allergists that will test on a baby that young unless they are having some sort of failure to thrive or something like that. Hopefully your diet changes will help, cranky babies are no fun!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto PP.  Cut it out and give it a few weeks.  Also, I would tell your pedi and even get an allergist referral.  I would have him tested around 6 months.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"