Eco-Friendly Family

gDiapers, anyone?

I am researching diaper options and I am not sure if cloth diapering will be for us.  I would still like to do something better than regular old disposables.  I was looking at eco-friendly disposables and those didn't seem to be a huge step up from regular diapers.  I came across gDiapers which you can use the disposable liners.  They are plastic free, compostable or flushable or can just be tossed.  I like the eco-friendly aspect to them.  It seems like a good compromise.  They are a little on the pricey side (looks like around $0.30 per liner, not including the little pants/covers).

Is anyone using gDiapers?  Are they worth the cost to you?  Are they really as easily flushed as they say they are?  I would love to hear any input!!

Thanks!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

Re: gDiapers, anyone?

• I have not used them yet but I am just as interested in it as you. I have done extensive research all week and I personally like this system better compared to the other cloth diaper systems. It seems like an easier transition into cloth diapers. I love the two options for it as well. I plan to buy a few packs of the biodegradable refills but I will mostly do cloth. My estimated cost from small to large and with everything I need will be less than $700. To start your small gDiaper collection would cost you less than $300 and I have found that Walmart, Amazon and Diapers.com are the best places to buy them. I bought six small gDiapers and an extra pack of liners so far for $110. I plan on buying 24 gCloths most likely from Walmart and a few refills. Good Luck!

You will get mixed reviews because people seem to either love them or hate them.  

• I thought I wanted the dual route myself at the very first (I still have an unopened box of disposable Grovia liners sitting in my closet). We ended up loving the cloth, it's performance, it's cost and I liked the idea of disposables never touching DDs bum, so we just never even used them.Only now am I using the Grovia and cloth liners...until now we've mostly used pocket diapers (bumgenius and smartipants) and before that we used prefolds and covers for newborn stage. 

I've only heard of a few moms liking gDiapers, most didn't like them. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I almost exclusively CD, but when we had to travel for a four days and I was unable to wash my cloth, I got some gDiapers with the biodegradable liners.  I hated them.  No matter what we did, every single one leaked.  At first I thought we were leaving them on too long (2 hours) but they would leak as soon as DS peed.  He isn't much of a heavy wetter, so I still don't know why this happened.  On a positive note, they were easy to flush.

If you are interested in a Hybrid diapering system like gDiapers, I have heard good things about both Flip and GroVia. They can't be flushed, but they are biodegradable.  I'll actually be going to our local CD store this afternoon and asking them which one they would recommend, since we are going to be traveling in March for a week and I would rather not use all disposables.  I'll update later on what I find out.

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• I just got back from the cloth diaper store with some of the Flip biodegradable inserts.  I'll be trying a couple of them out tonight and tomorrow to see how they work.  I was told I could use them with any cover or even with my pocket diapers as a shell.  If you would like, I'll report back what I find.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• We hated them. This gets asked like twice a page on the CD board. https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/54452530.aspx
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually love gdiapers. We use prefolds in them most of the time, but buy the disposable inserts when we travel. We rarely have a leak. We have a "long and lean" baby. 

We started with the tiny g's from day one. We used a few disp. Inserts for the yucky myconium stage, the started using prefolds in them.

Around 9 months they began leaking at night and we couldn't stuff them enough for our heavy wetter. I got some fuzzybuns and those also leaked. So I got an overnight fetted and that worked. I also picked up some bg3's and use those at night too. Now she doesn't wet much, but I like the microfiber on her at night. 

But, out of all of the options we have I love the gdiapers for their ease of use and adaptability. I know a lot of people hate them though.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I used gDiapers with my son for overnights and when we were out of the house.  They work well as long as you have them on properly.  My son is a heavy wetter overnight, so we would double up with a cloth insert under a biodegradable one.  It worked well most of the time.  Just an occasional leak after that.  You can get the biodegradable refills for a discount through amazon.com amazon mom program. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was originally going to exclusively use gDiapers but I am now considering the Flip system after reading a lot of the forums. I plan on buying the flip day pack to try it out since I've already ordered a bunch of small gDiapers.
  • I used gdiapers on my baby for a few months.  The size small worked great on him.  As soon as we upgraded to size medium, they leaked every time.  I know some babies are shaped differently, so I think these diapers work best on thin babies.  I did find that the biodegradable liner was more absorbent than the cloth, but I like the idea of the cloth better.  It is easy to flush - just make sure you rip it half and let all of the stuffing out.  Otherwise, it may end up clogging your toilet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"