South Florida Babies

radiation treatments and pregnancy

So right before Christmas, my dad was diagnosed with salivary gland cancer. He has a very large tumor (about the size of a grapefruit) that starts in the parotid gland (near the throat) and goes all the way up almost to his ear canal. The good news is that it's a very treatable form of cancer that doesn't have a tendency to spread to other parts of the body. The doctors are pretty confident that with surgery (unfortunately a very complicated and invasive surgery) and radiation, he will eventually make a full recovery.

He is scheduled to have surgery on Feb. 6th and then about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery he will start to undergo radiation treatments. My parents had an appointment with his radiologist today and they didn't think to ask whether it would be safe for my dad to be around me when he is having radiation. To be honest, I didn't even think about it until this afternoon, well after the time of their doctor's appointment. Of course I started googling and I can't get a clear answer. Some sources are saying yes, that it's safe for a pregnant woman to be around someone who is undergoing radiation treatments, others say no, it's not. Some seem to indicate that it depends on the type or intensity of radiation the patient is receiving.

I still have plenty of time to get better answers before my dad starts his treatment. I have my next OB checkup the day after his surgery and of course this will be the first question I'll ask my doctor. My parents are also going to follow up with my dad's radiologist to see what he has to say about it. But in the meantime, I am absolutely FREAKING OUT at the thought of not being able to be around my dad for the last few months of my pregnancy. Even worse, one website I read said that a person undergoing radiation can not only not be around pregnant women, but also can't be around newborns. It will break my dad's heart if he cannot be around his first grandson right after he's born. Before I spend the whole weekend worrying myself sick about this situation, I figured I would post about it here to see if any of you guys had any personal experience or knowledge about this situation...maybe some of the doctors (Laura???) can give me an idea of what to expect?! Like I said, I'll know for sure by asking my doctor soon enough, but if you guys have any insight to get me through the next few days, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: radiation treatments and pregnancy

• I don't have any information but I just want to say that I'm sorry your Dad has to go thru this and if I haven't said 192384023 times over the last two months. I seriously hate Cancer.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Thanks Justine. Cancer is the devil :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. But I am glad that everything looks optimistic for him in making a quick recovery! 

I completely understand your concern and it is a viable one! I went through a scare while I was in my 3rd year of residency pregnant with Ethan. I walked into a patient's room on our list for the first time to get a history and exam. Not related to the reason he was admitted, I  learned from his medical history that he was receiving radiation therapy for thyroid cancer. I wanted to quickly walk out of the room because I didn't know what kind of radiation he was receiving and he just had a treatment the day before. I immediately called the GynOnc in our hospital and he said not to worry because the kind of radiation used in thyroid cancer is external. So Baby E and I were in the clear. 

There are 2 main types of radiation therapy - internal and external. The one to usually worry about is the internal, because the patient may have some sort of pellet harboring the radiation that can be somewhat transmitted to others close by. External beam radiation is a different story, it is usually transmitted or "shot out" via X-ray. So the person receiving the radiation gets the dose at that particular moment in time and then that's it, the radiation is gone after treatment. So someone who is pregnant or any person for that matter is exposed only if they are present while the patient is receiving the radiation. So of course, a pregnant person should not be in the room during the therapy. 

With that said, I looked up radiation therapy for salivary cancer and from what I've found, external radiation is the one used. Definitely confirm this when you speak with your dad's radiation oncologist as he is the one to know the exact type of radiation therapy he will be using and what his experience and recommendations are for pregnant women. Your Ob may also be able to guide you! 

Wish your dad a speedy recovery Jen and if you need anything please let me know!  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

To add to what Albah said, you also should not handle your father's chemotherapeutic drugs while pregnant. 

I'm sorry you're going through this. 

• I'm sorry to hear about your dad :( I did one of my elective cinicals in interventional radiology - where they treated cancers and other problems (ie uterine fibroids) with less invasive treatments. They did a lot of radiation type procedures for many types of cancers. As Laura mentioned, there is the "internal" and "external" types of radiation. We did a mixture of both and I remember telling the patients that if they had relatives who were pregnant or very young (I dont' remember the ages - but basically babies), not to hug /hold them for a few days after the procedure, but they could be in the same room. But I would def ask your OB and his oncologist as well.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry to hear about your dad.. Cancer is a horrible thing. My husband lost his mom back in July before we were ever able to tell her she was going to have her first grandchild :( I hope everything goes well with your dad and be lucky you have him right now!
  • Thanks so much, everyone. Laura and Erika, thanks for the in-depth info. My mom is 99.9999999999% sure that my dad will be receiving the external type of radiation, so hopefully we will be in the clear. We are still going to check with my doctor and his doctor but you guys have made me feel a lot better. Thanks!
  • Oh Jen, sorry to hear about your dad... but glad it is a very treatable form.  Wishing him a speedy recovery, and from what Laura mentioned, glad to hear that it won't affect you or baby.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ay Jen, I'm so sorry about your dad. What a terrible thing to be going through. I'm praying for your family and I hope with all my heart that he gets better ASAP and that the kind of radiation therapy he's getting won't interfere with your time together or his getting to be there when your LO is born. 

::big hugs::

Whatever you need, I'm here!  

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto to Laura's post!!!! Maany wishes for a speedy recovery for your father!!!! ((HUGS))

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Jen, I wish the best for your and your dad.  I hope the treatments are swift and he makes a full recovery.  So sorry that you and your family have to go through this.  
  • Thanks guys!!! My dad is not in for an easy journey, but I at least feel like we're one of the lucky families in the sense that the cancer is not terminal and that there's a lot of hope that he will be fine in the end. My heart goes out to all the families who aren't as lucky :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"