Georgia Babies

Talk to me about the Y

We are thinking of joining the Y. I went last week and got the free week trial membership cards, but we have yet to use them. Stuff like a morning spent trying to figure out what to do about the possum next door and a doctor's visit for Trev's recurring ear infection kept us from having the time to go.

We are interested in joining largely for the pool. We don't have regular access to one and Cadence has asked me to go swimming 15 times in the last 2 weeks. She even spent an entire morning wearing swimming goggles. DH and I would also like to use the fitness equipment (no room for a treadmill or such at home) and I would like to do a few classes.

My question is if you are members do you feel like you use the Y enough to make it worth the monthly cost?

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
DS-6
c/p- April 2016
missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

Re: Talk to me about the Y

• we belong to the Y and use it all the time.  I don't know about your Y, but our Y has a Toddlercize class which is like gymboree, two mornings a week, they have a music class, they have childcare so I can go workout without the little people and then there is the pool.  they also have an aquababy class starting at 6mos old (its like a work out class in the pool with your baby) and they have a mommy and me fitness class where you can bring your newborn to crawling baby into the class with you which rocks when they are too young for the nursery.  that being said though, I don't know that all Y's have those classes.  and I can't remember right now if you're a SAHM or not, but if you are then I would definitely do it becsause then you can work out during the day and the kids can go play int he nursery.  I have made some of my best mommy friends from joining our Y from all of the above classes mentioned, so that is an added bonus for me.
  • Are you looking at the one on Ashford Dunwoody? They don't have an outdoor pool or any of the great classes that heather's has. We are members and I do like it, but it does get crowded, especially the pool. The Buckhead Y has a nice outdoor pool.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • frlcb- Yes, we were looking at the one on Ashford Dunwoody, but with a membership you can use any of the metro Y's right? It would be nice to have access to an outdoor pool in the summer.

Heather- your Y sounds amazing. The one closest to us does not have any of that stuff :( If it did it would be a no brainer. I am mostly a SAHM now. I do still work 15 hours a week and go into the office Tues and Thurs mornings. So those days are out which is one of the reasons that makes me wonder how much we would use it.

Thanks for the info ladies :)

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• You can use other ones! I have used the Buckhead Y many times. I like the Ashford Dunwoody one, and do classes there (and do swimming with the kids there, and soccer for ds at the Buckhead one but they play at the fields at Windsor Pkwy) and it is nice, I would say worth the money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are Y members and when we were at Ashford Dunwoody, I hated the indoor pool.  It has a very medical purposes feel to it.  But we have used the outdoor pool in Buckhead and Alpharetta which are both really nice. 

We go to the Y in Marietta now and they are great.   Great classes like Heather mentioned and awesome play areas where the kids are content to hang out while I work out.   I also think its a really great deal.  

• I freaking LOVE our Y. Love love love.  I put E in the daycare and go workout either using their fitness machines or by taking a class. They have great classes. If your daughter wants to swim, it would be ideal. Ours (the Buckhead on on Moores Mill) has an AWESOME outdoor pool in addition to the indoor one that is perfect for kids in the summer: zero entry, water slides, splash area, etc. 

Being able to take E to the daycare and get an hour or two to myself, even if it is just sitting on the recumbent bike reading my kindle, is worth every penny.  =) 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"