Working Moms

A reminder for when you do daycare drop off

I posted this on the toddler board but think it is better for over here. 

I'm going to post this on the working moms thread as well but thought I would post this here as well.  Now that it is getting colder out, the temptation to leave your car running while you go into daycare to get your little ones is high.  I want to urge you not to do this.  One year ago today, I had left my purse in my car while I ran in to get my DD.  The car was locked and no keys in the car but in the few mins that it took me to walk inside and get my DD, someone broke into my car by breaking my window and took my purse.  I was lucky and another mom saw it happen and the jerk stopped at a nearby gas station to dump what he didn't want and apolice officer saw this happen so we got the guy.  Turns out he was part of a string of car break-ins at daycares and he spent 6 months in jail. 

A few days before this happened, another parent left her car running, with the keys inside and the car unlocked - her car was gone when she came out a few mins later. 

Please do not leave your keys in the car or your purse in the car.  If you really feel the need to leave the car running to keep it warm - get a car starter.  It was a pain to deal with the police and the police report and canceling all my cards.  I was lucky and got everything back within a few days but most are not so lucky.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: A reminder for when you do daycare drop off

• As tempting as it is, I never do this.  I think I might have seen your post about it after it happened.  Thanks for the reminder!

• Loading the player...
  • I don't leave the car running, but I've left my keys in the car so many times. I guess I need to stop.

Thanks for the reminder.

• Theft is a good reason to shut off your car.

Another is I knew a parent who left the car running to drop of her child, and she forgot is was running when she agreed to meet with the teacher since she had some time that?morning. An hour later she was out of gas. ?You never know how long a drop off / pick up may take.

image Anniversary
  • Yikes!! I don't leave my car running but I do leave my keys in it.
  • The really stupid thing at my daycare is that parents leave their cars running when it's not even cold.  All summer long I have seen running, unoccupied cars in the parking lot when I drop off DS.  I can't believe people are that lazy, that they would risk having their car stolen for what, the 10 seconds it takes to remove your keys and later restart your car???

There is no reason to believe there are no wannabe criminals dropping off their kids who see this sort of thing.  Any thief who knows what parents do in the morning at daycare centers could literally get away with stealing a car every week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"