January 2012 Moms

Has anyone taken Benefiber while nursing??

Probably a long shot, but I need help  :-(  My Ob prescribed 100mg Colace twice daily and I take it religiously.  Yesterday was my first BM postpartum (I delivered last Thurs) and it not only took over an hour, I was in pain and tears.  It was tortuous.  I figured once I "broke the seal", so to speak, it would get easier.  I've been eating a ton of salad, drinking water like crazy and doing all I can think of.  Now I have the urge to go again, but I can already tell it will not be easy at all.  I am having anxiety even thinking of it.  Hoping I can swipe one of my daughter's Benefiber chewables to help things soften up.  And really hoping one of you knows because I can't justify calling my Ob after hours to ask about a poop pill!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Has anyone taken Benefiber while nursing??

• I'm bf and having been drinking the clear Metamucil in a drink everyday and I made a batch of homeade muffins from bran cereal. I just assumed drinking the Metamucil was ok and didn't ask my doc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feel for you girl! I had the worst constipation after I had my son... I literally had to give myself an enema or my DH was going to take me to the ER (IK it's crazy and I'm a nurse so I was sooo embarrassed for myself) but my LC said metamucil was perfectly okay, I'm not sure but I would assume that benefiber has the same ingredients? I have never personally used benefiber but based on the commercials it's basically the same concept? Just make sure you drinkj LOTS of water because it can have the opposite effect and just put so much fiber in your system and bind you up. So I would say go for it, but honestly if it makes you feel better I would call your OB... who cares if it's about poop... that was a HUGE issue for me. I'd rather go through birth again than go through that (and I had a 9lb 11oz baby without pain medication).
  • Loading the player...
  • ::Butting in from Nov '11 Board::

Hope nobody minds, but just thought I'd mention that I am BFing and my Dr and Pedi recommended Benefiber for me (and I take Colace too). I drink two of the individual sachet packets per day. All the Dr said is that anymore than two may mean LO poops a little bit more. Hope that helps!

::Butting out::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"