Birth Stories
Options

Our Independence Day Baby

Caution: Contains "gory details"... Don't recommend you reading this if lady stuff gross you out.

We went to bed the night before around 10pm after a fun evening involving Catan and homemade chinese food with our friend Andy (Annie's uncle/godfather). About 12 I woke up with a weird pop, like Annie kicked me or something but it felt different this time. The thought crossed my mind it could've beenmy water breaking, but I dismissed it after checking and not seeing a puddle of water in my bed. An hr later I woke up to a wet, warm sensation in my pants but since it was just a little bit I thought maybe I had just peed and would need to up my kegels as obviously things were not doing what they were supposed to! Though, I think I KNEW because my adrenaline was going too much for me to sleep again and I walked around the living room in circles wondering if "this was it". I continued to leak and decided sitting on a towel in the bathroom was the best course of action. Hmm... but maybe Casey should know? I peeked my head in our room and said, "Either I keep peeing or my water broke, just wanted to tell you, go back to bed." If this was my water I knew we had at least 24hrs ahead of us to labor (HA!) and one of us was going to need to be rested. He decided this was probably not the thing to do and actually googled "what to do when your water breaks". He came in to the bathroom to tell me I needed to call our midwife but I still wasn't convinced and as I was about to tell him so I had a contraction that caught my breath. Whoops! Guess he was right! But I mean, come on, I totally knew ha.

We called the midwife and she asked us to monitor how far the contractions were apart as she checked to see what my strep-b results were as I hadn't gotten those back yet (you have to be on drip antibiotics if you test positive for it). She called back at 1:30 and I was negative! But... my contractions were staying a steady 3min apart and were getting pretty intense. Thankful to my husband and our wonderful doula who comforted me as I puked. It was frustrating me that I couldn't do everything I had learned in our birthing class! Stay calm. Internalize. Breathe. Relax all muscles. WHAT A JOKE! I was told later because I dilated so quickly it was much more intense than it would've been had I dilated over a longer period of time. I'm not sure which I would prefer. Wiggling my toes and rocking on my bucket while Casey pushed tennis balls into my lower back for the back labor was great! Oh, and the moaning. Did I mention we had a roommate at this point? Casey kindly went and knocked on his door to give him the heads up. Finally at 4:30 I knew it was time to go to the birthing center. Casey questioned it, but only for a second before I told him, "No, it's time."

The plan was for my mom to be there in the room while we labored recording the event with pictures, but my parents we still in Rockport on vacation! I think it's 3hrs away. So change of plans, our doula became our photographer and met us at the birthing center after running an errand for orange juice (no birth is complete without it).

When I got in they check my dilation and I was at a 5. They drew a bath and I labored in there for a while. It was hard but the warm water was so great to help me half-way fall asleep between contractions. The midwives gave me herbs for my nausea and it really helped but they still tried to push liquids through ginger tea and popcicles. Casey was great, telling me he was so proud of me and that he loved me. He held me us as I relaxed between contractions. I really don't think I could've done it without him! My body started pushing by itself at the end of my contractions. And I was worried so I told the midwives, I'm pushing but it is too early! They reassured me if I was pushing it was probably close to time. I was 10cm on one side and 8 (I think) on the other. Cervical lip, it's called. About 5:45 I felt like WOAH I have to poop, the midwives knew better I am sure but they led my from the tub to the bathroom anyways. They brought stools for my feet (to help push), apparently this happens a lot? And yes, as you can expect, I pushed on the toilet! But I knew I didn't want to deliver on the toilet so I asked them to help me back to the bathtub. Even though they were starting to see Annie's head at this point they humored me and led me out. They had refreshed the water while I was in the restroom and it was a bit too hot for me so once again I asked to move, this time to the bed. Casey helped me out as the midwives prepared the bed for delivery. However, once I lifted my first foot out and over the side of the tub I knew I wasn't going to make it to the bed. So I squatted and started pushing. HAH! You should've seen the midwives scramble. "Wait!" They said, "Let us put towels down." I wasn't pushing the right direction (go figure, it's possible) so they told me to put my heels all the way down on the ground but I was so unbalanced and tired Casey had to get behind me and LITERALLY hold me up as I pushed. Midwives said later that he basically delivered Annie, all they did was catch! So proud of my man.

As she was almost crowning they had to push back my cervix because it was trying to come out too. Ring of fire? Totally real! Annie crowned and I remembered from my birthing classes I needed to breathe at this point or I was going to tear. So I weighed my options... wait and not tear, or push and see Annie sooner? I decided to push that final push at 6:25am. Once Annie's head was free the rest came out without needing to push and she was there in the midwife's arms. I'll never forget that moment. I don't know if I said repeatedly "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh" or if that was just on repeat in my head. That right there will go down as the greatest moment in my life. Our lives, probably. The lifted her to me and I held her against my chest amazed at this little person we could call our daughter. Anabel Michelle.

Casey said he cried, pretty sure I cried too! She was so little we needed to do kangaroo care pretty quickly so there aren't many pictures we can post. Casey held her while I delivered the placenta (weirdest feeling ever) and got a quick shot of pitocin. I had lost a lot of blood from my tear and the pitocin helped with that. They brought me over to the bed where I got to cuddle with Annie and tried to get her to latch on to my breast while the stitched me up. There was one spot where the local anesthetic wasn't quite working and I'm pretty sure that hurt worse than delivery, ha. I accidentally reached out and pinched Casey when that happened.

Finally, all repairs were made and measurements were taken and there was peace. We were together as a family. Casey went out to fill family in and then we were together just mom and daughter and God. I thanked Him for her and the safe delivery. Then there were the silent prayers that can only be described as genuine AWE.

The rest is history: family meeting Annie, cuddles/snuggles/kisses, pictures and orange juice. 2 hrs later I was up, showered (I even put on mascara) and got dressed. By 2pm we were home and resting.

Stats: 6lb 6oz, 18in long

Re: Our Independence Day Baby

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"