March 2012 Moms

Baby measuring 4 weeks ahead?

I just had a 4d ultrasound at 32 weeks today. I was told that the baby was measuring 3-4 weeks ahead in all areas (abdomen, head, femur length etc). I was charting so my dates were right on. I'm just a little concerned because although I know U/S can be off, usually not this late and it's usually when they do a weight guess. I have to get another U/S in two weeks. I don't want them to try to talk me in to an induction before baby's ready. I was a big baby (9 lbs 10 oz and 23 in) but my daughter was a week late and only 8 lbs. Has anyone had a baby measure this far ahead? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Baby measuring 4 weeks ahead?

• I think up to 3 weeks is totally normal, so 4 isn't too far outside.  I have very little faith in the accuracy of the measurements- they told me at 36 weeks that DD was already close to 8 lbs and she came out 4 weeks later 7lb7oz.  I think you're right on- baby will come when he/she is ready. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 28 weeks, our baby was measuring 4 weeks ahead but when I went back for another 3d/4d ultrasound at 32 weeks and he had slowed down a bit and was only a couple of weeks ahead. I think sometimes they just grow in spurts and can even out as time progresses. I wouldn't worry too much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageeyenigh:
    At 28 weeks, our baby was measuring 4 weeks ahead but when I went back for another 3d/4d ultrasound at 32 weeks and he had slowed down a bit and was only a couple of weeks ahead. I think sometimes they just grow in spurts and can even out as time progresses. I wouldn't worry too much. 
    This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor with my previous pregnancy used an ultrasound machine at every single appointment. At the time, I thought it was so cool to see my baby every week. My DS1 always measured a couple of weeks ahead, which I generally attributed to his large parents (5'9" and 6'2"). However, it was definitely used as a tool to encourage me toward induction near the end of my pregnancy, which I declined, but freaked me out a bit. He was born 9lbs (vaginally with a minor episiotomy) about a week late.

With my new doctor, she's usually using a doppler to measure heartbeat, a measuring tape to check my bump size and that's it. And now, I completely prefer this style. The size of my baby relative to their "averages" (who makes these averages anyway?) would not really change anything, except to freak me out and make me agree to an induction perhaps earlier than needed. This time, I like not knowing too much. My theory is, if the cavewomen generally didn't need it, then I generally do not as well (special circumstances aside).

I think in general, if you were a big baby, then you can deliver a big one too. Good luck!

• We had an US on Friday and the Dr said the baby was measuring at 4 lbs 1 oz (29w4d) and that there can be an inaccuracy of 15% off either way, so that was a bit disturbing. He is in the 85th percentile for growth, but it's still only 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule for us. The perinatologist said they will not induce us due to baby's size, however they won't let me go past 39 weeks because I've has some blood pressure issues.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"