April 2012 Moms
Options

Could be a hot topic...

But I'm curious about your thoughts...

Is it wrong of me to be slightly annoyed that women would have to wait much longer to find out the sex of their baby because a small portion of the population is engaging in this disgusting practice?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/01/13/female-feticide-editorial.html?cmp=rss

Re: Could be a hot topic...

• Options

I agree with the PP. I live in B.C. and know all about it.

What is really sad and disgusting is that even making them wait until 30 weeks may not prevent them from taking matters into their own hands.

You can, however, pay for an ultrasound to find out the sex of the baby earlier than 20 weeks and I don't believe the private clinic are under the same rules as the public ones. When you go into a public clinic, there are signs everywhere that the technician cannot disclose the sex or even hint. You have to wait and get the news from your doctor.

Doctors in certain cities here will under no circumstance tell their patients the baby's sex and if they want to know, they have no choice but to go to a private clinic. The prices vary. As well, certain doctors in cities where they normally disclose at 20 weeks flat out refuse to do so.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've read about this in the past and it makes me sick. I'm happy that they are starting to do something about this by making families wait until 30 weeks and I hope it becomes that way in all these places that this is happening. I couldn't ever imagine aborting my child, my flesh and blood, because he or she wasn't the gender my family or I wanted.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In some countries, finding out the sex is actually illegal because of this. I am biased because I didn't care whether or not we found out, but AFAIC, getting to know the sex ahead of time is a privilege, not something we are entitled to as parents. For most of history, people couldn't find out and still managed to have babies; for most of the time that a baby shower was traditional, people couldn't find out and still managed to gift baby items. Having to wait longer is really not that big of a deal, in my opinion. We should be grateful if we can find out at all.

Also, waiting longer is more accurate, isn't it? I'd rather wait to find out and have a more accurate result, than have the baby's sex "change" once or twice based on later sonograms. At least, if you're buying/asking for gendered items, you aren't having to return a bunch of "Daddy's Little Girl" or "Mama's Boy" onesies. 

• Options
    imageAshleyDoll:
    I've read about this in the past and it makes me sick. I'm happy that they are starting to do something about this by making families wait until 30 weeks and I hope it becomes that way in all these places that this is happening. I couldn't ever imagine aborting my child, my flesh and blood, because he or she wasn't the gender my family or I wanted.
    Even worse is oftentimes the mother doesn't want to abort but is being pressured and threatened by her husband and their families. If they don't do what they're told they they (and the baby) might be maimed and murdered. It's all kept secret and these women feel they have no one to turn to.
  • Options
    i agree...finding out the gender is a privilege, not a right. like the PP, i would also rather wait then have someone else's little girl aborted.  this is our fifth baby...we found out the sex of the first 4 and this one is a surprise.  it isn't really that different.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I couldnt get beyond the first paragraph in the article just because the idea that some women do that is SICK.

Personally, I would not love waiting an extra 10 weeks...20 weeks seemed like a lifetime to me. And I am a huge planner that likes to have things ready early. However if the reason I had to wait would save other fetuses from being aborted due to their sex...consider it done. I would wait until 40 weeks if it helped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"