Working Moms

Pump recommendations

Hello, I'm expecting in Feb, but will be going back to work. I'm trying to figure out this whole pumping thing. Most places seem to recommend the double pump, is that for speed? What brands/models do you recommend and why? Does the milk go straight into a bottle or can I use the freezer bags? I'm taking the BPA free into consideration for my bottles and Medela seemed to be the only pump that has those.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Pump recommendations

• I have the Playtex Double Embrace, and yes it is faster to have a double pump so you can express both breasts. i like the playtex pump cause you pump straght into the liners for the playtex dropins so no need to transfer bags of milk to bottles. Also I believe all of platex bottles are BPA free now.
  • Yes, if you're pumping at work, you need a double electric pump, for speed and efficiency.   I have the Medela PISA and I love it.  I can pump in 10 minutes with it. 

I pump into the collection bottles it comes with, and keep them in the cooler pack it also comes with until I get home.   Then I transfer the milk into bottles for daycare the next day (I use drop-ins), or freezer bags if I have extra, then wash everything for the next day.  I also bought extra parts and collection bottles so I have a set for when I pump at home before I leave for work. 

I would definitely hold off on purchasing a pump until you know for sure BF is working and that pumping is still something you're able and willing to do.  Insurance may pay for one, and you can get one for much less than they cost at the hospital if you shop around online.    I got mine when DD was about 3 weeks old and she got her first pumped bottle at 4 weeks.   I didn't pump much after that until a few weeks before I went back to work. 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I have the Medela PISA and really like it.  A pump session will usually take about 10 - 15 minutes.  I usually pump into the bottles and use the bags to freeze.
  • The double electric is for speed and convience.  I would highly recommend a double electric (check to see if it has a battery pack for those instances when an outlet is not an option).  I would also highly recommend the Ameda Purely Yours or the Medela PISA.  In my experience, both are fabulous.  The milk goes into little storage bottles that are attached by the hose that is pumping from your breast.  I poured the bottles into the freezer bags.  I used Lansinoh bags and never had a leak or tear in all of my tranporting and freezing. 

• Thank you for the advice!
  • We have the PJ's Comfort Jr. by Limerick.

It was given to us by a friend of the family who is an RN.

We like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"