Maryland Babies
Options

S/o taking baby out- missing events

I have been excited about the Girl Scouts 100 year anniversary for several years now. There is a huge sing along planned for the national mall. I just checked the date. It is being held on June 9, which is about 20 days after my due date.

I am fairly adventurous and usually up for a challenge, but I really don't think I will be able to manage this. The thought of heading to DC on a hot summer day with a breast feeding newborn in tow is more than I can bear, especially with the number of people they plan on having there, 200,000  +.

I will play it by ear, but really don't think it will be possible. 

Would you attempt to go to something like this, or would you skip it?

What have you missed due to the age of your child(ren)?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/o taking baby out- missing events

• Options

I would probably not be able to handle it, myself. :( As I said in the post below, we took DD to the Renn Faire when she was 3 weeks old, but we were there for about two hours, I had DH's and my family's help, and I basically sat on a bench watching one of their shows nursing her the entire time. At that age, my DD wouldn't even be content in the car for that long w/o nursing (and forget about hopping on and off the metro.) But, if you're adventurous, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first or the last mom to try something like that! But I just don't think I could do it. 

I missed two weddings this summer (actually I missed five, but the other three I was too pregnant to travel for) because they were on the 20th and 26th of August, DD was born the 14th. There was no way that was happening, especially the first one! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We took Claire to Dutch Wonderland when she was >1 month old, and she slept the entire time, besides when she was eating.  I thought it was going to be bad, but honestly, it was so much easier than I thought.  I wore her in the Moby the majority of the time, and DH wore her for a bit when I went on some rides with Aiden.
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have c/s deliveries, so I definitely wouldn't be up for an all-day event in a crowd of that size three weeks PP. Even if I didn't have c/s, I know how tiring a newborn can be so I still don't know if I'd be up for it. The weather would be a determining factor for me, too. If it was really humid I would not take the baby out for very long. Yeah, I think I'd plan on sitting it out if I were you. You probably won't care as much about missing it once your LO is actually here.

• Options

I think it depends on how close to your due date the baby comes.  If the baby is almost 3 weeks old, then I would probably go, it the baby is two weeks late, then probably not.

It also depends on the temperment of the baby.  DD1 was (and still is) very easy going, we took her everywhere.  I can't think of one thing that we missed because she was an infant.  DD2 is pretty much the same way, she's a little more demanding but goes with the flow.  We've taken her out and about with no problems.

We do miss things now, more because of DD1 - we don't want to be out too late and she goes to bed late and then the whole next day is trying.

• Options
    I probably wouldn't just because both of my babies have tended to nurse a LOT when they were small and I just wouldnt be up for it logistically. But, every baby is different.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have missed at least 2 out-of-town weddings due to pregnancy- either being too close to my EDD, or feeling like ***! during the first tri when the RSVP was due and deciding it wasn't worth the travel, etc. when I wouldn't be able to drink and would just want to take a nap anyway. 

I would probably play it by ear- I don't think I had figured out how to wear and nurse at the same time w/ DS at that age- but you might be able to do it and then it would be NBD.

We took DS to an Orioles' game when he was only a few weeks old- it was the 4 of us and we did OK. If it was just you and your new LO it might be easier than having it be a full family adventure.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Like others have said, just play it by ear.  When DS was < 1 month old, we had taken him to an O's game, the DC Zoo and to the Renn Fest.  He was carried in the bjorn, I pumped so I could feed him whenever (if there wasn't an area I could feed him readily accessible) - the key was to keep our expectations low.  We knew at the O's game, we would do more walking around than sitting and actually watching the game.  At the Renn Fest, I knew I wouldn't be the one going down that super-cool slide with DD since I had the baby.  At the zoo, I missed a few exhibits to feed DS or push him in the stroller to fall asleep.

Having DH there to be with DD was HUGE though.  I've gone places with just me and the two kids and it has made me a million times more appreciative of his help!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would play it by ear but plan on not going. 

DD nursed pretty much 24/7 those first 6 weeks and I can't imagine being outside in public so soon after delivery and really able to enjoy myself.

With that said I was in a wedding 4 weeks pp and I managed. It wasn't AS bad as I was expecting but it was pretty tough and just way too much overstimulation for my baby.  

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

Thanks for responding. I threw this out to hear different opinions and perspectives, because I hadn't realized that the dates were so close and for some reason it freaked me out.

Once I meet this person, I will have a much better idea of whether this will work or not. It will also depend on when they decide to come. Tickets to the event, including t-shirts, are only $10. I decided to buy them now, so if I  decide to go I can, and won't be out much if I don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"