Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

had my D&C yesterday (and some questions)

It went pretty well . . . my DH couldn't be there because he couldn't take time off his new job, but my friend came with me. She'd had a D&C before so it was nice to be able to talk to her about it .It was a little sad though, because I'd seen her son being born in September and I had been imagining her being there for the birth of this baby . . .

The doctor said that there wasn't much tissue, which I guess made me feel a little better that it hadn't progressed that far. She also mentioned that getting pregnant so soon after getting of the Mirena can cause this, and I felt really validated. Every other doctor I'd seen at the practice had brushed off my concerns, so it was nice to hear that I wasn't crazy.

Everyone at the surgical center was so nice, too. When I got home, my DH and a friend were here with cupcakes and ice cream and flowers. And now I'm here with a heating pad, not feeling too terrible. 

A few questions, though: 

I'm not having much bleeding (at all). Does that come later?

She gave me a prescription for methergine. Hadn't seen anything about that on this board--anyone else have this? Maybe that's why I'm not bleeding?

She said my period would be back in 2-3 weeks. Doesn't that seem early?

They also don't want to see me for a follow up for 4 weeks. When did you have yours? I thought they would want to do bloodwork earlier than that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: had my D&C yesterday (and some questions)

• Options

Sorry for your loss!

I too had my D & E yesterday.

Sounds like you have a great support system!  Cupakes & Ice Cream = YUM.

I also haven't been bleeding much, just light spotting actually.

In regards to follow-up, mine is exactly one week from yesterday for my follow-up.

Mr Dr. said expect to have a typical "cycle" so I was normally a 30-35 day cycle so he said to "expect" a period in 30-35 days from yesterday.  But everyone is different.

Not sure what methegrine is?

I got a prescription for Tylonal with Coedine & I do NOT like that, makes me feel light headed & sick to my stomach.  No good.

I've just been taking Midol & so far been OK.

I expected the cramps/bleeding to be much worse. I guess that's a good thing?

HTH! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't have a D&C, so I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to tell you that I'm very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad everything went as well for you as possible. It sounds like you have a good support system, and at times like this, that means the world. Wishing you peace and comfort. {hugs}
    It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry for your loss.  I had my D&C over a week ago.  For me, I didn't really bleed or have bad cramps the first 2 days after the procedure.  But on the 3rd day they came with some force!  I had really bad cramps and bleeding for about 4 days straight. Then it slowed down and now I'm barely bleeding/cramping at all.  Kind of like how a period is...starts bad and gets better as it ends.

So you might go through the same thing I did or you might luck out!  Either way, I wish you luck.  Feel better soon!

• Options

First off, I am so sorry for your loss and that you have to go through this. 

Second off, I had my d&c 2 weeks ago yesterday. I did not have bleeding until about 4 days later, and I am stil bleeding, but I do not have cramps. 

I had my follow up 2 weeks later (on thursday). It was literally a 15 minute conversation with the results from my pathology report. All the results came back normal for me and the baby, which was great news. He pretty much said "it just happens" He said we may never know they why to our #1 question, "why did this happen?"  

He did not take any bloodwork or anything. Just wanted to make sure I was ok and recovering well. He told me I should ovulate in like a month and get a normal cycle in the next 4 weeks. He also said the bleeding should stop in the next 2 weeks and to wait to have sex for another 2 weeks, eek!!! I did not like that part, lol.

I hope this helped and I hope yohave a smooth recovery! The emotional aspect is the hardest part to get over, which gets easier too in time. :) 

• Options

I had my D&C Tues. I only bled a little the day of the surgery, really light, like the last day of a period. I really didn't have alot of cramping and I was put on methergine for 2 days to cramp down my uterus. My Dr told me that she was able to get everything during the surgery so there wasn't any tissue left..which may explain why I haven't had alot of bleeding.

I wasn't told when my period will come back, but I've had the ovulation type pains in my side which seems odd to me.

My follow up was scheduled for 5 weeks out. I'm thinking this is bc there werent any complications or tissue left, although I'm not sure.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Journey Thru the Rain
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TTC Since Nov 2011
    BFP: 11/24/11 EDD: 8/2/12 MMC:12/19/11 D&C: 1/10/12

BFP: 2/18/12 EDD: 11/2/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    BFP: 10/23/12 Saw heartbeat: @8wks&10Wks / Heard HB: @15wks EDD: 7/2/13 *Stick Baby Stick*
  • Options

I'm glad it went well.

had a D&E in November, just before Thanksgiving. Here's my timeline as I think my recovery/AF schedule is pretty "typical" based on my doctor's projections.

I spent 2 days "recovering" but realy it was just taking it easy. By 2 days out, I was up and active. I spotted the first 2 days, and then had about 1-2 days of heacy flow with some very minor clotting. I went back to spotting for another 1-1/2 weeks.

I had a follow up at 2 weeks, but doctor said it could be as late as 4. I chose to go in on the earlier side because of scheduling & xmas coming up around the corner.  He said the spotting was just a bit of leftover blood and nothing to be concerned about. Also at that time, I started getting cervical mucus. The first day had a bit of blood mixed in, then it was clean there on out. Just after xmas, AF came back right on schedule from time of post d&e ovulation. All told, about 5 weeks.

But of course everyone is different. I would not be concerned if AF doesn't show up in 2-3 weeks - seems very soon.  I think 6 weeks is the average max.

Hope that helps a bit in what you should expect. 

The methergine is probably contributing to the lack of bleeding as well - I'm not sure as I wasn't prescribed this. I was just given a course of anti-biotics to stave off infection. 

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"