2nd Trimester

Cough drop safety?

Has anyone been told by their OB which cough drops are safe to take?  I know that Luden's and Ricola are safe, but am at the point where I really need something stronger to help control my cough.  Ricola has a new drop with menthol and I'm not even sure if that is OK.  I also have severe nasal congestion...is there anything we can take that would help with both cough and congestion?  Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cough drop safety?

• I had a cough / cold in my first trimester and was constantly sucking on the Halls soothing throat and nasel drops.  I am pretty sure they had menthol or something similar.  I told my doctor and she said they were no big deal.  You should be fine :)

• Sorry double post
  • Loading the player...
  • They are safe but my doctor gave me a great tip she told me that butterscotch candies soothe your throat better than cough drops. Also you can eat werthers hard candies, they are just as effective and taste better. When I had my bad cough last week I drank tons of water I mean literally one cup after another, mine went away fast with no medication... Also eat an orange everyday if you can and use a humidifier at night. If you have a neti pot use that too but use filtered water.

Like I mentioned I didn't take any medications, most cough/cold meds are category C drugs and I don't trust that. Drinking plenty of water to clear the mucus out of your throat is better than using an expectorant like Mucinex which is a category C. Water loosesns the mucus just as effectively if you drink enough. You can also drink hot tea with lemon. And also take hot showers that helps a lot. Feel better soon...

• My doctor said that Cepacol cough drops are ok as well as cloraseptic spray. Also, he said that I could take robitussin which some have nasal help as well. 
  • My doctor said absolutely no cough drops or sore throat sprays of any kind, but that Robitussin was okay.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagewendy&joe:
    My doctor said that Cepacol cough drops are ok as well as cloraseptic spray. Also, he said that I could take robitussin which some have nasal help as well. 

Oh I am happy to hear this...my throat was on *fire*, there was no swallowing or eating of anything and I was so nervous about both of these items. I used them... but def didn't over do it. I just couldn't shake that , what I consume, the baby consumes. And these things made my throat NUMB... it was a life saver yes, but I only used them when I needed to. Thanks for the info though  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"