Maryland Babies
Options

Working on potty training

I just wanted to tell someone that we're working on potty training. She has been sitting on the toilet when she first gets up in the morning and right before bed, since May. But last weekend, we went to underwear and didn't have any accidents, and she hasn't had any accidents at daycare dince Monday. I guess she was ready to make this step!

We're definitely still on the timing method. She doesn't say if she needs to go, but she'll tell me immediately if she did go in her underwear. I feel weird at how immensely proud I am!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working on potty training

• Options
    imageucgrad:

I just wanted to tell someone that we're working on potty training. She has been sitting on the toilet when she first gets up in the morning and right before bed, since May. But last weekend, we went to underwear and didn't have any accidents, and she hasn't had any accidents at daycare dince Monday. I guess she was ready to make this step!

We're definitely still on the timing method. She doesn't say if she needs to go, but she'll tell me immediately if she did go in her underwear. I feel weird at how immensely proud I am!

ummmmm - when did your baby get to be OVER 2 years old?

I always feel a mix of overwhelming pride at DD's development, mixed w/ intense sadness that she's growing up.

Go Mama, Go Sophia!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have a love/hate relationship with potty training.  I don't want to change DD1s diapers anymore but I don't want to take the plunge to actually do the training part (and the clean up).

Good for you with no accidents!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am jealous of all of you who have children that actually want to use the potty. Sean will tell me when he's peeing or pooping, and he's even peed on the potty a few times, but he seems to have no motivation to get out of diapers yet.

However, my dad did give him a pack of Thomas the Train big boy underwear for christmas and I told him he couldn't wear them until he started peeing and pooping on the potty, and I saw the wheels turning. So here's hoping. It sucks having two in diapers.

UC Grad, you must be very proud! It is a big deal, I understand.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrs. remy:

I am jealous of all of you who have children that actually want to use the potty. Sean will tell me when he's peeing or pooping, and he's even peed on the potty a few times, but he seems to have no motivation to get out of diapers yet.

This is us! I'm so frustrated with potty training. Every morning I tell her, lets go sit on the potty, she freaks out and starts to whine. No more potty! Ugh! It's a challenging getting her clothes on in the morning too. She will sit on the potty and will even pee on it sometimes, but she won't tell me when she has go. We were doing potty training two weeks ago, but that was a big fail. I'm not sure she is ready and I'm really scared to have two kids in diapers.

Way to go Sophia! 

• Options
    imagejcsntms06:
    imagemrs. remy:

This is us! I'm so frustrated with potty training. Every morning I tell her, lets go sit on the potty, she freaks out and starts to whine. No more potty! Ugh! It's a challenging getting her clothes on in the morning too. She will sit on the potty and will even pee on it sometimes, but she won't tell me when she has go. We were doing potty training two weeks ago, but that was a big fail. I'm not sure she is ready and I'm really scared to have two kids in diapers.

Way to go Sophia! 

So, what I left out was that the weekend before (New Year's), I tried to work on potty training and it completely failed. She had like 6 accidents in a day. Then, I went out and got a step stool so she could get on the toilet herself and it made a HUGE difference in the whinning, not wanting to go into the bathroom. And, I had this bright idea to have her favorite doll use the potty. So, the first time I tried this, I couldn't get her to even enter the bathroom. So, I picked up the doll and said, "oh, well, I think Ms. Kari (yes, she named a doll after a teacher at daycare), need to go potty." So, I put the doll through the motions. She climbed the step stool, sat on the toilet, I praised her for going, helped her flush the toilet, she climbed the stool to wash her hands, I turned on the water, "used" soap, and dried her hands. That got Sophia excited, so then she wanted to take the doll to the potty. She took her through motions, then said, "Now Sophia's turn!" and hopped right up there. It worked a million times better than I had expected. I've also spent several months sitting in the bathroom reading her books and playing with her while she sat on the toilet. So many hours in the bathroom...  I've read a lot of stuff on the internet (mostly unhelpful)... do you think she might be fighting it because you're pregnant?

Good luck to you guys! I think it is just a process. She'll get it. Unfortunately, these darn toddlers do things at their own pace, not ours!

• Options
    imageKathrynMD:
    imageucgrad:

ummmmm - when did your baby get to be OVER 2 years old?

I always feel a mix of overwhelming pride at DD's development, mixed w/ intense sadness that she's growing up.

Go Mama, Go Sophia!!

I think it is because I don't post a whole lot anymore since I've been busier at work. And, I need to update my picture. We had some great pictures done with Jen Lowe over the fall and they are wonderful!

• Options
    imageucgrad:
    imagejcsntms06:
    imagemrs. remy:

Way to go Sophia! 

So, what I left out was that the weekend before (New Year's), I tried to work on potty training and it completely failed. She had like 6 accidents in a day. Then, I went out and got a step stool so she could get on the toilet herself and it made a HUGE difference in the whinning, not wanting to go into the bathroom. And, I had this bright idea to have her favorite doll use the potty. So, the first time I tried this, I couldn't get her to even enter the bathroom. So, I picked up the doll and said, "oh, well, I think Ms. Kari (yes, she named a doll after a teacher at daycare), need to go potty." So, I put the doll through the motions. She climbed the step stool, sat on the toilet, I praised her for going, helped her flush the toilet, she climbed the stool to wash her hands, I turned on the water, "used" soap, and dried her hands. That got Sophia excited, so then she wanted to take the doll to the potty. She took her through motions, then said, "Now Sophia's turn!" and hopped right up there. It worked a million times better than I had expected. I've also spent several months sitting in the bathroom reading her books and playing with her while she sat on the toilet. So many hours in the bathroom...  I've read a lot of stuff on the internet (mostly unhelpful)... do you think she might be fighting it because you're pregnant?

Good luck to you guys! I think it is just a process. She'll get it. Unfortunately, these darn toddlers do things at their own pace, not ours!

We have a step stool in the bathroom, but I'm going to try the whole doll going and see if that helps. We read to her in the potty every single time she sits on it. We praise her tons. I'm not sure what's going on in her little mind. 

• Options
    Jen - at least she is absolutely adorable. Truthfully, I melt a little bit every time I see A's picture. She is so darn cute!
  • Options

You know your girls are still really young, right?  Its really NBD to not be PT'd at 2.5.  They'll get it when they get it.

We've done the doll/baby thing too.  Ella shows her baby (or Dora of course) how to wash her hair/brush teeth, potty, etc. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They are still young. Sometimes it is hard to remember! I was going to start PT before her 2nd birthday, and then I realized that I didn't have the energy to PT a kid who couldn't actually communicate much of anything to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"