Maryland Babies

Kathleen Slone Practice Question

I went to my first appointment there the other day and didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling.  Maybe I expected midwives to take more time than a traditional OB and actually explain things in more detail.  Could it be because it was just the first appointment??  I guess my expectations were too high, but I felt like it was a DIY practice.  I didn't get very thorough answers to my questions, and was told to take a class to get more information.  I haven't actually had an appointment with Kathleen yet so maybe she's different and it was just because I had one of the less experienced midwives?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kathleen Slone Practice Question

• I am not familiar with Kathleen Sloane specifically, but I had DD w/ a larger OB practice (8 OBs, multiple nurses) and then had DS w/ a small midwifery practice (3 midwives at the time, only one office nurse.) When I saw an OB, I got maybe 3-7 minutes of time w/ an OB per appointment- pretty much throughout my pregnancy. I got a lot more time w/ the midwives, but it definitely increased as my pregnancy progressed. Also seeing the midwives was a more DIY experience- I weighed myself and tested my urine myself. 

What is it they suggested you take a class about?  A birth or baby care class? 

What kind of questions did you have?  

While midwives are generally more supportive of un-medicated and intervention free labor & birth, they are not doulas and most don't teach birthing classes (like Bradley, Hypnobirthing, Birthing from Within, etc.)

Midwives and OBs operate from different care models and have overall different philosophies. My midwifery practice asked that you track what you ate for 3 days and were more concerned with overall nutrition vs. my old OB practice that just handed me a list of foods to avoid, etc. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • ITA....there are also different type of midwife practices too...maybe go to another appointment and see how you feel after that one and if you still are dissatisfied then I would look at switching to another provider.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"