1st Trimester
Options

When to share the news?

I found out today that I am a little over 8 weeks pregnant with my first child. I am dying to tell everyone but I don't want to share the news too early. How long did you wait to tell family and friends with your first baby?

Re: When to share the news?

• Options
    We told families at 9 weeks, and made it FB Official at 9.5 weeks! We couldn't wait 12 weeks lol I say tell people when you are comfortable telling. It's different for everyone =)
    IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We told our family and close friends I'm dying to shout it from the roof top and make it "fb official" I go to my first appointment Wed and depending how it goes and what the dr says we may just bust out and tell everyone! 

8 weeks today! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's really a personal decision.  If it was up to my husband we would have told everyone the day the stick said positive but I really wanted to wait.  We compromised.  We decided to tell our parents (at 4w) and sibling (at 6w) right away.  We also told our best friends (5w and 9w).  We told extended family at 10/11 weeks and announced on FB at 12w.  Good luck!  It's hard when to know when!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1st pregnancy: We told everyone right after we found out (about 4.5 weeks). Unfortunately, we lost the baby soon after, so then I had some explaining to do when people asked about it. That sucked.

2nd pregnancy: We aren't telling anyone til I'm out of the 1st tri.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1st Pregnancy: We told pretty much everyone before the stick was even dry. At 11 weeks I had a very late diagnosis of ectopic and had emergency surgery. It was an awful experience, but looking back on how it all played out I was very thankful to have had the support of my family and friends throughout the experience. However, having the few people that didn't find out about our loss ask how our pregnancy was going months after the loss was a little hard to deal with.

2nd Pregnancy: We conceived via IVF. Everyone knew the day we did our egg retrieval, the day we did the transfer and the day we got our first beta back.   We're not good at keeping secrets.  :)

Good luck to you!

• Options

I am 5 weeks 3 days and we have told some people. However, we have yet to tell our families. We are going to do that on the 21st which will be right at 7 weeks. But I do agree that it is all in your personal preference.

• Options
    With my first 3 pregnancies we told everyone right away.  However, my third pregnancy ended up in a miscarriage.  Because of this we are being a little more cautious this time around.  The only person that really knows besides us is my mom.  We are thinking about waiting until I am out of the first trimester to tell everyone else.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1st Pregnancy: We told family at 7.5 weeks and then everyone else just a few days later so around 8 weeks.

2nd Pregnancy: Ended in a chemical pregnancy at 4.5weeks and we hadn't told anyone yet but after it happened, we told our families.

3rd Pregnancy: We haven't told anyone yet. We are planning on telling family about it at 7.5weeks and then everyone else at 12 weeks. We were going to wait to tell family a bit later but I know that my Mom and sister already know (My Mom knows every time my sister or I have been pregnant) so not much point in waiting. 

• Options

Told parents at 6 and 7.5 weeks (the only time we were going to see them in person). Also a couple of close friends found out when they tried serving me mt favorite drink at a holiday party and also I threw up from m/s. yeah....

Haven't told extended family yet or anyone else yet. I'm thinking 13-14 weeks for extended family. As far as friends and coworkers, this is baby #2 so I don't know how long I will be able to hide it.

• Options

I told a very select few before telling our families on Christmas (8w) :)  Then a few more at a New Year's Party (9w).....and I told my boss/teammate right after that. I am a little hesitant now to announce at work and Facebook, only because the people we "want to know" at this point, do....and we may wait until after our appointment on the 30th, when I am 13 weeks - to tell Facebook (LOL funny that's even in the mix of when to tell-haha). The rest of work may be next week (11) or 12 weeks, not 100% sure yet. :) I am SO excited :) - yet it is kind of fun having this secret for the people at work who say things to me about getting pregnant, etc ;)

They will find out soon enough...I figure what's a few more weeks. I wouldhave went CRAZY if our families, close friends didn't know though! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    we let our parents and ILs know as soon as the test turned positive and swore them to secrecy.But they did end up telling some of our relatives before 12 week.But that was ok because we had already heard the heartbeat of the baby.and it was nice to have my moms support and advice when i was sick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

#1: I found out the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so I waited 4 days to tell both of our immediate families at Thanksgiving dinner.  Told work and everyone else at 11w (when I started showing.)

#2: I told my immediate family at 5 weeks, and everyone else at 9w (when I started showing.)

#3: Told my family at 5w.  Lost the baby the next day. :(

#4: Told my family the DAY I found out. =)  I plan to tell work and everyone else around 8w if I can make it that far without people noticing.  Since this is baby #3 (pregnancy #4) my belly will want to share the news before I do. =) 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options

#1- We called parents at about 7w.  We announced after 1st appointment and u/s.

#2- We called parents immediately and announced after 1st appointment and u/s.

#3 (and current)- We called parents immediately, DH told close friends and his co-workers, and since I have a new doctor this time, I don't know if I'll have an u/s or not so we might wait for the "big announcement" to all friends/family until we hear the h/b.  This time, I don't really care if we do a Facebook announcement or not.  If we do, it will be a photo of our kids "announcing" it.

C- November 2007 E- December 2009 K-August 2012
  • Options
    we dont plan on telling our families until after our 1st appointment, which is on 1/30/12. we both have bdays in february so we are going to have a "birthday" dinner and surprise them. getting a cake thats going to say, "COMING SOON TO A DELIVERY ROOM NEAR YOU, SEPTEMBER 2012" and put one of our ultrasound pics on it :). got a BFP last year on 2/27/11 and had a chemical on 3/1/11 so hubby is scared out of his mind. i am 6 weeks today and i am feeling good about this one. full blown symptoms, crazy raging hormones...yea, i think we got a sticky one. lol. best of luck to u!
  • Options
    Of course the docs suggest waiting until 12 weeks. And I'm one of "those" people who are a stickler for that kind of advice AND a consumate worrier. Last pregnancy we waited till 12 weeks to tell anyone. I was afraid of telling people and then having a m/c and then having to remember who to retell that to. We're gonna wait till at least 12 weeks again this time. Again, just me being me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Last March we got a BFP and immediately told everyone! All my co-workers, family, friends. However, when I went for my first ultra sound at 10 weeks we discovered that it was a blighted ovum. We were devastated. We had to untell everyone and it was very sad. However, I don't regret it. I got a lot of support from my boss and co-workers when I had to get the D&C.  I worked full time in an infant room so babies was kind of our thing. :o) So, in a way it was nice that they knew and were there for me. 

For this pregnancy, I am being a little more cautious. I now work as a high school English teacher and I want to tell my students so much! I had my first Ultra sound yesterday. They did it early because of what happened before. We saw the tiny little guy and the movement of the heartbeat at 105bpm. It was amazing. Even after that we are still waiting for a couple more positive ultra sounds. My parents,  siblings and a couple good friends know. I just told the assistant principal so she would know why I will be going to a lot of Dr.s appts over the next few months. She was so happy for me. I told her about the miscarriage and she said she had one too! We bonded over that. It is amazing how we women can all connect and support each other.  I am considering announcing it to my extended family when we see them at my sisters wedding if the next ultra sound goes well in 2 weeks. Of course I will announce it the day after the wedding so I don't still my sisters thunder. LOL.

• Options

Last March we got a BFP and immediately told everyone! All my co-workers, family, friends. However, when I went for my first ultra sound at 10 weeks we discovered that it was a blighted ovum. We were devastated. We had to untell everyone and it was very sad. However, I don't regret it. I got a lot of support from my boss and co-workers when I had to get the D&C.  I worked full time in an infant room so babies was kind of our thing. :o) So, in a way it was nice that they knew and were there for me. 

For this pregnancy, I am being a little more cautious. I now work as a high school English teacher and I want to tell my students so much! I had my first Ultra sound yesterday. They did it early because of what happened before. We saw the tiny little guy and the movement of the heartbeat at 105bpm. It was amazing. Even after that we are still waiting for a couple more positive ultra sounds. My parents,  siblings and a couple good friends know. I just told the assistant principal so she would know why I will be going to a lot of Dr.s appts over the next few months. She was so happy for me. I told her about the miscarriage and she said she had one too! We bonded over that. It is amazing how we women can all connect and support each other.  I am considering announcing it to my extended family when we see them at my sisters wedding if the next ultra sound goes well in 2 weeks. Of course I will announce it the day after the wedding so I don't steal my sisters thunder. LOL.

• Options
    I work in the veterinary field so for my health and the health of the baby it was very important for some of my coworkers to know. Ideally I would have waited longer to share the news, I haven't even told my family yet. Just trying to keep on a need to know basis until we are a little further along. 6 weeks today.
  • Options
    We are waiting to share the news until I am out of the 1st trimester.  We don't want DS to know until we are as sure as we can be that everything is okay, because he would be devastated to be expecting a sibling and then for us to lose the baby.  I don't feel right telling others before him, and once he knows he will tell everyone he knows, so right now we are keeping it between DH and me.  It is extremely difficult to keep the secret this long though - I am 9 weeks.  The other day DS actually asked if I am PG and I had to lie.  :-(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"